Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2004 9:25:58 AM EDT
FNG here – I’m looking at building an AR similar to the one that ARin built but before I start buying parts I was curious – what effect IF ANY will the hopeful phasing out of the “assault weapon” ban have on the price of parts or kits? I currently own a Sporter and figured it’d be neat to build an AR but I don’t want to start buying parts, only to have the price drop on everything if or WHEN the ban is gone. I wasn’t sure if there was a correlation between the ban and parts cost so I figured I’d ask Y’all.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The prices on new stuff shouldn't go down any.  Maybe some good deals on used post-ban uppers, if you don't mind compensators instead of flash suppressors.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The price could even go up for awhile with alot of people buying parts and putting together guns that would be grandfathered in before the next ban, if the  Dems would take the White House.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:02:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Look, there are only three "preban" parts that the majority of AR owners would be concerned about; threaded barrels, flash suppressors, and collapsible buttstocks.

Barrels have always been the same prices, whether threaded or not, GI type flash suppressors have always been a $5 piece, so what could they go up to, $7.50?  Collapsible stocks  (non Colt) have actually been going down in price recently..

The only overpriced AR stuff I see out there are the aftermarket add ons that all the mall ninjas love; because 25 Special Forces guys in Iraq bought them once so these stayathomes just have to have one.  They've always been grossly overpriced, and I expect will stay so.

If anyone is going to bump prices after next month, it might be some greedy shops bumping their prices for threading barrel ends for flash suppressors; but I really don't expect a whole lot of that either
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
If buying parts, make sure you get the right ones for your sporter.  Some colt sporters use different size trigger and hammer pins.  Many also have a different take down screw/pin.  If you have a large hole lower, you will need to get a large hole upper or a conversion pin.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top