Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 2:23:26 PM EDT
As some of you have may have read, I was looking to buy an M4 style carbine.  However, one user told me to build it myself to save a load of money.  Well, the m4 is on hold and I decided the way to go for my first gun is the M16A4 look-a-like.  I was wondering if I could get some parts recomendations and where I could buy all this stuff cheap.  Also, if anyone can help with the legal aspect of this, that'd be great too.  I know that the BATF allows to build your own gun as long as you don't sell it, but do I have to register it anywhere?  Anyways, as far as caliber goes, I'll probably be sticking with the .223, but if anyone can convince me that it can still be cheap to go with maybe a .308 or that new remington round (6.something mm) that would be great as well.  Basicly I want the rifle to slighty resemble the SPR counter sniper rifle.  That may just be a matter of optics though.  Well, thanks alot in advnace for any advice you guys can give me.  Also, what tools do I need, and is it resonable to complete this in a labor day weekend's worth?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess I'm the first to get a post off so...

As I understand it legally, Yes, you can build your own rifle as long as it is legal for you to own wherever you live. Understand that this includes the current federal laws and any other state/local laws you may have.  Also when you build your own gun, you can't transfer it to anyone else, period. The only way it changes hands is when you die.  Also I don't believe you need to register it, but I really don't know, does anyone else know this one?

Also note that I'm no lawyer, and you may want to consult one before undertaking this.

I would suggest waiting until september 14th for the federal assault weapons ban to expire before building it. Then you can build a pre-ban version of the rifle(assuming local laws allow it).

I think I have the legal things above correct, but if anyone knows better please chime in. If there's more that I left out, please add to this.

As for the rifle, how much money you spend depends a lot on what brands you use and what you are looking for, The only maker I know is bushmaster. I have an upper from them. They make good stuff, but might be on the pricey side.

That's about all I can do to help ya,
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Money wise, I had about 750 for the M4 that I wanted to buy, but for this project, I'll give in 600-650.  As far as local and state laws pertain, I'm calling the police chief of my humble Chicago suburb Monday.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
When you say "build", do you mean build the lower receiver from a 80% Receiver.  Or are you talking about assembling it from a Lower Receiver that you would order from a FFL dealer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, let me also respond assuming you are not a troll - which you sound an awfully lot like.

First, you can NOT build an M16 of any kind in any state unless you are a licensed firearms manufacturer with license to build automatic weapons.  Clearly from your post you are not.

Second, if you are talking about a semi-automatic AR15 M4 look alike, then you may proceed, but with some caveats.  

1)  Are they legal to own in your state/county/city/etc?  Illinois has some strange laws and I would check if I were you.

2)  Building can refer to assembly on an already manufactured receiver which is produced by Bushmaster or Colt or etc.  But you must buy the reciever from a licensed FFL.  The other parts you can then buy as you wish to complete the rifle.

3)  Or you might complete an 80% casting as shown above.  You must still live in a state where ownership of such rifles is legal.

4)   Dude (or dudette as the  case may be), stick with 223 for your first.  The other stuff is more than you are ready for.

Frankly, the sound of your post is that of a troll fishing for information that would lead someone to believe that fully automatic weapons are easy and fast to make.  And legal to make.  Not true at this time.  And have your MMM pals read this response.

If you are legitimately looking for help building an AR15 (not an M16) then welcome aboard.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the confusion, but I'm as out of place as Kerry in the white house.  I would start from a lower receiver, probably a Bushmaster.  As far as caliber goes, now I'm defenitly going 223.  Sorry for my earlier dissent.  *edit: I would never, ever think about building a fully automatic weapon.  I am looking for a semiauto version of the weapon.  Sorry for my blunder there*
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#6]
No problem.  We get a bit sensitive to the gun banners who log in here and try to get "illegal" advice to show their friends.  So, any trolling in that direction is suspect.

But for a legal AR15 and advice you are in the right place.  I'm sure you'll get good advice.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Right, the M4 is a full auto.  The M4orgery, ar AR15 clone, blah, blah, is a semi auto.   You should check with your local gun shops to see if they carry them.  If they do, well you know they are legal and you now know what the price of these are retail.  

Where to start, well I would start with the lower receiver.  Find a gun friendly gun shop (ironic huh) that will order you the lower.  Pick a lower, Bushy, Rock River Arms, DPMS, Colt, or whatever, and find a dealer that carries them.  Here is a good place to look.  If they have a FFL Dealer on file in your area, great work it out with them.  If not, go to your local gun freindly dealer, and have them send their FFL to the dealer with the lower you picked out.  When your local FFL receives it, you will fill out the necessary paper work like any other gun you would buy and he hands it over.

Now, if you want the M4orgery, I would suggest you look in the New parts or  Used parts of the Equiptment Exchange forum of this site.  When searching through this, if you see abbreviations that don't make sense, check here.

When choosing an upper, look for a complete barreled upper.  Make sure it comes complete with a CH/B/BC and carrying handle if  you went with an A3,  or you will have to buy them seperate.
Search for a used but excellent collapsible stock, and lower parts kit.

Like was said, if you wait until after Sept. 14 to assemble, you will problably be ok to start getting preban parts.  You can buy the complete kit from Model 1 Sales, M A Parts, or RRAand be done with it, but you might not get exactly what you want. Would certainly be easier though.  

Good luck, have fun, keep asking questions, and post pictures when your done.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top