Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2004 1:46:42 PM EDT
I just got a new upper in and wanted to know whats the best way of removing the pressed on flash suppressor.  I don't believe it's pinned in.  I'm thinking about putting on a YHM light weight tube and I beleive this has to be removed.  

Pressed on Flash Suppressor

Pressed on Flash Suppressor

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one shoot off once way back when I owned a barrel like that.  You are right that this will have to be removed so that your FSB can be removed to allow installation of the YHM tube.

It looks like this underneath:

If you had access to an arbor press or hydraulic press, you could press it off by placing the barrel in the press, muzzle up, supported by the bottom (rear) portion of the faux FH.  Then find or make a softener out of brass or hardwood so you don't damage the muzzle.  Using the softener between the muzzle and press ram, press the barrel out of the fuax FH.  Remember to catch your barrel so it doesn't fall onto the floor.

There are likely other WECSOGer methods of taking it off, like finding an open end wrench that fits over the barrel and makes contact with the bottom or rear of the faux FH (11/16" seems like it might work) and by hitting the open ended wrench, beat the faux FH off the barrel.  Duct tape around the barrel would help to protect the barrel finish while doing this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried beating on it, but I couldn't get it off.  I started marring the mock flash suppressor, not that I'm going to keep it though.   Does anyone know who can remove it and thread the barrel for an A2 FS, for a reasonable price.  KKF is reasonable and does great work, but just takes a while.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You are almost better off selling that barrel, and buy what you want... rather than go through the hassle of removing that Faux hider, then re-threading... seems like alot of expense and work to me....
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I use brass plumbing fittings as the softner, Works fine for removing AK FSBs & gas blocks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Decided to send it into KKF.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Smart move!
Kurt does great work!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, after starting to grind (crap!) away the muzzle break on one of mine, thinking it was welded, my brain got unstuck and I realized it is pressed on.  

I called Armalite Repair (800-336-0184 ext 125) and they said freeze the barrel, then heat the break and then pull/push it off.  

On Armalites manufactured after 2002, most are pressed on and can be id'd by what looks like a pin (light ring about 5mm in diameter) on the lower side of the break or fake flash hider.  Bad news is the barrels need to be threaded, but most local gunsmiths (support em or you might not have one anymore!) can thread a barrel for $50-.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Bad news is the barrels need to be threaded, but most local gunsmiths (support em or you might not have one anymore!) can thread a barrel for $50-.

American Manufacturing will do a virgin barrel (removed from upper, etc) for $35.00.  They are an excellent company, based upon my experience.

mark
[email protected]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top