Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 10:08:58 AM EDT
OK - this may be an odd question and I've never actually tried to do this before.  I want to put a free float tube on my AR.

In addition to the bbl, upper, gas tube (figure since it'd be covered afterwards, right?) and the tube itself what do I need to do this?

Also, what tools do I need for this?  At some point a smiths help may very well be enlisted to get headspacing right...
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#1]
For tools you will need a good armorer's wrench and a torque wrench and an upper receiver clamp holder thingy. It is fairly easy to do. Just remeber 35#s of torque at least. Good Luck.
Hispeedal1
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
this thread may be of some help:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=184086

Basically the tube will come with it's own barrel nut,  so in the link above, use the ff barrel nut instead of the standard one.

Make sure that you also have a front site base or a gas block and a gas tube pin.

Which FF tube are you installing?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#3]
As cheap a tube as I can get since it'll be spending it's time just sitting there over sandbags, or POSSIBLY I'll drill it myself to accept a bipod.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't have to worry about headspacing.  That is one of the unique things about the AR design.  Headspacing is controlled by the fit of the bolt to the barrel extension.  The barrel nut just secures the barrel to the upper receiver.  The most difficult part of installing a FF tube may be taking the FSB off and re-installing it if that is necessary to get the tube in place.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top