Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2004 7:33:11 AM EDT
I am getting a new barrel.  Can I use the crush washer for a second installation or do I need a new one?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#1]
you should get a new one, but you may get lucky
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a new one, Slappy Weinstein!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Why are crush washers so expensive, I just don't get it?  Does anyone have a home depot solution?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why are crush washers so expensive, I just don't get it?  Does anyone have a home depot solution?

Get peel washers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

A peel washer is $2 and a crush washer is $3.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Oy vay!  $3!

Cough it up, Goldbergbloombaumsteinbergowitz!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#7]
You can get a washer for about 10 cents at the hardware store, I wish they had something that would work.  I am cheap.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally posted by

der_Buschmeistermann "I am cheap"
 Man, then you are in the wrong hobby.  The hassle, gas, and wear and tear on the car let alone looking for and not finding the right size.  Then looking for the Home Depot guy and trying to explain gun parts to him or her so they can help find the right size will kill at leat 30-60 minutes just to save 3 bucks.  I don't know about you and I know I am good at waisting time but I know my time is worth more than that.  Then it will surely be the shiny steel and need to be refinished to black for it to work but it will have to be sandblasted before it can be refinished all to save $2.75.  I can go on but for the sake of the rest of the readers and yourself save money on something else.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I really just thought that there would be something at the Home Depot that would work.  I'm sorry I asked.  I've put 10's of thousands of dollars into this hobby, so I can't be that cheap.  I just think that $3 is way too much for one washer when you can get dozens of washers for that much at a hardware store.  I am pretty sure there would be something similiar there.  I wasn't referring to a silver metal washer either.  They have an entire aisle full of washers and related items made from an assortement of materials.  I guess I'm entitled to my opinion.  Maybe I'll just look for myself the next time I go since no one wants to give a serious answer to a simple question.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe we could do a fund raiser!  If all the team members put in a NICKLE, we could buy you one!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Whatever indexes the f/s properly will work. If you find a substitute for the regular washers let us know. Crush washers are my choice--peel washers suck IMO. Of course, you can use an A1 f/s or a Vortex and not worry much about indexing. All you need then is a washer to take up the space and stay tight.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like you can get 10 of them for $4 if they are indeed the same. Look Here:www.bakerprecision.com/statseal.htm  

If you want to try them let us know how it turns out.

Daubs
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Make sure you get a pre ban one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Looks like you can get 10 of them for $4 if they are indeed the same. Look Here:www.bakerprecision.com/statseal.htm  

Daubs

Thanks, I think I will order a batch.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Daubs

One problem. The inside diameter jumps from 7/16" to 9/16". I believe you need 1/2" inside diameter, from measuring an old peel washer I have lying around.

Close but no cigar?

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#16]
what's the outside diameter?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Daubs

One problem. The inside diameter jumps from 7/16" to 9/16". I believe you need 1/2" inside diameter, from measuring an old peel washer I have lying around.

Close but no cigar?

Lonny

Yup.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

der_Buschmeistermann "I am cheap"

Hey, Ace, I am not sure where you got that from in this post.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with objecting to getting hosed by parts dealers.  The $3.00 crush washer probably cost $.06 to manufacture.  From where I sit, that looks like too much of a profit.  If you enjoy not shopping around, not looking for alternatives and basically paying top dollar for things, go right ahead but please let me seek other sources without being hasseled for it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Hey, Ace, I am not sure where you got that from in this post. I see absolutely nothing wrong with objecting to getting hosed by parts dealers. The $3.00 crush washer probably cost $.06 to manufacture. From where I sit, that looks like too much of a profit. If you enjoy not shopping around, not looking for alternatives and basically paying top dollar for things, go right ahead but please let me seek other sources without being hasseled for it.

Its your time.  Be my guest.  I apologize for attributing fq1234's "I am cheap" quote to you I thought that it was you saying that.  Nevertheless I am just making a very valid point.  Have you ever bought a drink at a resturaunt?  That biggie drink cost less to produce than the cup you throw away when the drink is gone.  The profit margin on gun parts is not very large for the most part.  It does not bother me that they make a 2-3 dollar profit.  My time is what is of most value.  I mean that is just one mag worth of ammo.  All I am saying is yes save money and shop around but for heavens sake start with the things that will actually save a significant ammount of money not a paltry 2 bucks.  I mean I guess it would make a difference if you were installing 20-30 flash suppressors but man most people don't have that many guns that they would save any significant difference.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey, that extra dollar or two could go towards ammo.  I personally feel raped when I'm paying specialty cost for an over-the-counter item.  I agree with the poster, I CAN purchase the item at inflated cost or I could take the time to purchase the item at a reasonable cost though it may take a little effort.  It's not the money, it's the principle of not being lazy enough to be taken advantage of .  It's the same reason why I don't do my weekly grocery shopping at 7-11.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Daubs

Me thinks you will burn that O-ring out under heavy fire.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:43:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Daubs

Close but no cigar?

Lonny

Ok, I found what I think is the proper 1/2" ID washer.  Looks like $5.76 for a pack of 10.  Take a look here: www.amstreetrod.com/177003ERL.php4.  I may try a pack but if someone beats me to it, post the info.  The firearm manufacturer's have to be getting their crush washers from some supplier the key is where to find it.

Daubs
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:06:36 AM EDT
[#23]
If you are a C&R they are 2.20 at Brownells.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Dumb question: where does this damn washer go? I have barrelled a couple of uppers and don't recall a washer anywhere in the process?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Behind the flashhider...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Ah, well that explains it--I've never put one of those on, since they've been illegal until THIS WEEK. :)

So I ordered a couple of A2 flashhiders from RRA. Are they going to come with washers or do I need to go get a couple?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Just wind up a rubber band behind the flash hider..
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

.27 cents each is exspensive?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Daubs

Oh you have a new customer, will be ordering.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Nomrally the washers are separate. And I've reused them with no problems.(Never tried this on a FA)

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Our local fastener store in town has special 1/2" lockwashers made for allen head bolts. These washers are the very near the same OD as the bolt head itself, not wide like conventional lock washers. The last ones I got were blued and should fit the bill inexpensively.

I'll see if I can find some online and post a link.

EDIT: can't find a pic, but they are called High collar split lock washers for socket head (allen) fasteners. Should be around about .20 cents apiece.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nooo...If you read the entire thread you would see that I am complaining about spending $2.99 (DPMS) or $2.50 (Bushmaster).  I would gladly pay .27 cents for a crush washer.

I will quote myself from the first page:
"I just think that $3 is way too much for one washer when you can get dozens of washers for that much at a hardware store. "
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nooo...If you read the entire thread you would see that I am complaining about spending $2.99 (DPMS) or $2.50 (Bushmaster).  I would gladly pay .27 cents for a crush washer.

I will quote myself from the first page:
"I just think that $3 is way too much for one washer when you can get dozens of washers for that much at a hardware store. "

Email me your addy and I will send you a crush washer free
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Email sent!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The members of this site are truely one of a kind.  For the most part, our members go out of thier way to help each other out.  Thanks Mark!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, so after reading all the posts for this thread I can't figure out why you need to put one of these things behind the FH!  I have heard things in the past like, "if you don't have a crush or peel washer then the timing is going to be off!"  Well... wtf!!!  The FH is basically a nut getting screwed onto a bolt.  What does timing have to do with it?  (Help me mommy..I'm new!)

GWB IN DA HIZZOUSE!!!!! had
-grooVe
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok, so after reading all the posts for this thread I can't figure out why you need to put one of these things behind the FH!  I have heard things in the past like, "if you don't have a crush or peel washer then the timing is going to be off!"  Well... wtf!!!  The FH is basically a nut getting screwed onto a bolt.  What does timing have to do with it?  (Help me mommy..I'm new!)

GWB IN DA HIZZOUSE!!!!! had
-grooVe
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#38]
It's only necessary on A2 flash suppressors or other flash suppressors that need to be orientated in a specific direction...on the A2, you would want a crush/peel washer so you can make sure the ports/slits are faced UPWARD...it's not the timing that's off, it's the index that off...of course, some people might like having their A2 flash suppressors on upside down or sideways...

Try threading on a A2 flash suppressor and see how it ends up after you tighten it....then you'll understand...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:46:29 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
It's only necessary on A2 flash suppressors or other flash suppressors that need to be orientated in a specific direction...on the A2, you would want a crush/peel washer so you can make sure the ports/slits are faced UPWARD...it's not the timing that's off, it's the index that off...of course, some people might like having their A2 flash suppressors on upside down or sideways...

Try threading on a A2 flash suppressor and see how it ends up after you tighten it....then you'll understand...

I have tried this before and have had mixed results, some FH do not thread completely onto the barrel threading since the shoulder of the barrel was not threaded entirely.

It also has a tendency to leave an unsightly gap between the barrel shoulder and the rear of the flash suppressor, that in it self may not hinder function but looks nasty.

Also to include, if you can find a blued lock washer that has the same diameter of your particular set up, you can use one if the flash suppressor does not need indexing.

I am not saying that it would not work without one, but why take a chance on it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top