Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2004 8:20:29 PM EDT
OK I’ve just completed my FAL G-1 build and it’s screaming….my next project is to build an AR….but where to start? Who produces the best and most reliable components? There seems to be an overwhelming number of possibilities to choose from….but which ones. Are 80% receivers a worthy consideration? I have a drill press and a moderate amount of tools and skills. Are 80% really feasible for a first time builder? What is really required to finish such a receiver? Is it worth the time and effort?

I’m a retired vet that has carried both the A1 and the A2 variants of the M-16 over twenty years of service. I joined right after Vietnam ended so have carried both the triangular fore stock and during Desert Storm carried the round version. I like the tubular stocks I’ve seen out there. Not much of a fan for collapsible stocks. I want to keep this simple and economical. Not sure which barrel arrangements to consider, what are the advantages or disadvantages and not sure I like the newer high speed low drag M-4 design.

This will be my play toy but in an emergency….the wife’s carry so I need to keep it light and uncomplicated. Suggestions? Advice? Ideas? Any thoughts would be helpful. Please think economical, efficient, reliable and simple…..sort of the K.I.S.S principle.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you may need a mill to complete an 80%, but don't qoute me on that.  I went the easy route and just bought a factory stripped rec. for $100. You can buy individual partys to make exactly what you want, otherwise you can pick up a kit from several sources for about $400-$500, then just add what you desire.  As far as barrels, if looks are no matter to you, go with the 20", longer sight radius and better ballistics.  If your not going to pound the rounds out of it, you can consider a lightweight barrel.  I'm also sure many other people can add, or detract, from this ramble.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a lot of information about 80% receivers for the AR, it should give you the information you need.

80% Receivers

The jig and tooling

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of info on completing 80% AR-15 at...

www.footpounds.com

80% are great fun "if" you have the skill and access to a good drill press... IMO.. go with a FORGED vs CAST frame...some 80% receiver requires less machining than others...also you will need a drilling fixture.

being able to build up your own AR-15 from scratch will give you a whole new sense of personal satisfaction and pride!!!...=)

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top