Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2004 10:39:33 AM EDT
Crush Washer, Which side is toward the front or against the flash hider?
Thank You
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The proper orintation of the crush washer is the concave 'dish' toward the flash suppressor, it will fit the rear circumference of the FS...

edited fer spelln...

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank You Darkstar. I see what you mean by it fitting better that way. Thank You
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The proper orintation of the crush washer is the concave 'dish' toward the flash suppressor, it will fit the rear circumference of the FS...

edited fer spelln...

I tried that.  Wouldn't crush down at all.  I couldn't turn it more than 5 degrees.

I turned it around and put the dished part toward the barrel shoulder, and it fit better, and crushed just fine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there any 'official' build info/manuals that show which end pointing where?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:11:27 AM EDT
[#5]

The "smaller" end that contacts metal is meant to touch the barrel.  The wider mouth contacts the device being installed (e.g. suppressor, muzzle brake, etc)

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
While all the above is correct (wider part of crush washer against the wider part (FS), I have seen them come factory assembled both ways...

Personally, I like the more streamlined look of the "correct" way.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#7]
When I sent my barrel out to get a Phantom permanently installed, it came back with the wide part of the crush washer towards the barrel.  It doesn't really bother me, but I was expecting it to be installed the "correct" way.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:29:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I asked Bushmaster to deliver the 24" NM Heavy-barrel ASSEMBLY with the A2 birdcage installed... well it arrived and I found the A2 birdcage plus this weird washer (looked concave/convex depending on how you look at it).

My machining/engineering experience tells me that this is a crush washer. The tapered/sharp part of the washer would most likely "chew" into the metal as it was being crushed.

I figured that it was cheaper and easier to replace the flash hider if it was excessively "chewed" out by the washer in a worst case scenario, rather than replace the barrel.

So what I did was slip the washer with the flat side facing the barrel meat, and hand tighten the birdcage until it was flush. I then used the USGI barrel wrench and timed the flash hider so that the bottom did not have any slots (all facing up). I didn't bother with a torque wrench.

Did I do this right? I know the crush washer orientation is being debated here, but did I do everything else right?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds good, but you don't have to worry about the crush washer damaging either the barrel or the flash hider.  It's made of a much softer metal than the steel of those parts.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top