Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/8/2004 9:15:32 PM EDT
I'm planning to price out a build/ vs buy on the modular carbine that Bushmaster is offering.  I like the upper, but I wondered if perhaps a different lower would cost less.  Given I want some different parts in the lower and stock it may cost a lot less for me to build the lower.

Does anyone know a good place to price out just the upper?  Bushmaster's site has it at over $900 which is insane.  I know real world it don't go for that but I'm not having much luck finding a place that sells just the upper.  Any hints?

Link Posted: 8/12/2004 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT.... Anyone?  
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#2]
BM mod upper $910 or BM mod carbine rifle $1650

OK time for some math.

BM 16" Post-ban BBL M4 or superlight $229  (From BM.  May be cheaper from www.gunsmoke-inc.com if they can get them)
(all the following at www.eaglefirearms.net)
Rock River arms flat top upper $88
RRA compete bolt $105
RRA charging handle $16
Yankee hill Rear flip up $69
Yahkee hill front flip up /gasblock $67
Yahkee hill light weight 4 rail float tube $93

Upper Total: $667
Upper savings $243

also from www.eagleFirearms.net
Stag arms complete A2 lower $193

Complete Rifle total $860
Complete rifle savings $790

That should be enough $$ to buy a good barrel + telestock wrench, Upper receiver block, craftsman pin punches,  and a USMC assembly manual.  Oh did I mention free help from AR15.com members.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
BM mod upper $910 or BM mod carbine rifle $1650

OK time for some math.

BM 16" Post-ban BBL M4 or superlight $229  (From BM.  May be cheaper from www.gunsmoke-inc.com if they can get them)
(all the following at www.eaglefirearms.net)
Rock River arms flat top upper $88
RRA compete bolt $105
RRA charging handle $16
Yankee hill Rear flip up $69
Yahkee hill front flip up /gasblock $67
Yahkee hill light weight 4 rail float tube $93

Upper Total: $667
Upper savings $243

also from www.eagleFirearms.net
Stag arms complete A2 lower $193

Complete Rifle total $860
Complete rifle savings $790

That should be enough $$ to buy a good barrel + telestock wrench, Upper receiver block, craftsman pin punches,  and a USMC assembly manual.  Oh did I mention free help from AR15.com members.

I'm going for two things here...
1) Lightweight - My current DPMS AR with heavy BBL, rails, and EOTech is a bitch to hold freehand.  Feels like a lead brick when you lift it on target.   I felt the BM modular and it felt like a feather compared.  But I'd like a tele-stock on it, so I was already looking at doing a Stag lower.

2) Reliable - My goal is to take a class at Blackwater the year after next.  My DPMS is good and I can bring it as a backup, weight makes it impractical as a primary, but I'd like to have a reliable primary rifle that won't have me clearing malfunctions all the time.  Me assembling the rifle from parts gives me some hesitation.  I don't mind trying if there is good documentation to get going with and it don’t require hundreds of dollars of tools I’ll use twice in my life.  If it works that would be great but if not, then I get stuck with the warranty work since I provided the warranty.

Thanks for the parts list there.  I like the M4 profile BBL too, but I wasn't to comfortable with installing the barrel myself.  I do like to learn though

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#4]
You might try here--->>> www.upinarmsgunshop.com I bought the entire gun from Howard the owner, I do not remember exactly what I paid , but it was not any where near the list price...His standard mark-up is usually 10% over dealer cost, and he will get you anything you want...Shoot him an e-mail and see what he can do...
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I was a bit worried when I barreled my first upper also.  But for the price you can't beat doing it your self.  

The first thing you need is a US Marine Corp M16 Manual.  This is the best $6 you'll ever spend.  You can get one here  USMC M16 Manual

As for parts Sears has a set of pin punches that includes four pin punches (1/16, 3/32, 1/8, and 5/32 in.) and a 5/32 in. line-up tool.  Sears item #00904285000 Mfr. model #4285. Price $9.99 Then you'll need a torque wrench try one from Harbor Freight $19.99.  This is the most important tool you'll need the Armors action block from bushmaster $38.95.  Also needed is a Barrel wrench you can get a inexpensive one from Bushmaster $10.95 or a top of the line one from Guns-n-Stuff that worsk as a BBl wrench and a CAR stock wrench for $26 both will work. If you want to do everything by the book then get a set of Go no Go Gauges from BM for $20, generaly if the rifle can chamber a live round from the magazine in the new barrel it's fine.

So total you would have between $86 and $121 in tools that you can use again and again.

Not to make it sound like a total piece of cake but if you can turn a wrench you can assemble an upper.  I did have trouble with my BM dissipator barrel.  When I called BM for a short head space problem they told me to return the whole upper and they would take a look at it.  I told them that the upper receiver and bolt assembly was RRA and they told me send it any ways.  When I got it back they installed a max head space bolt at no cost to me and no hassle.  BM is a good company and will do you right.  

All told it's worth it to learn to build a rifle yourself and if you use good parts like the ones above you can't go wrong.

Daubs
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was a bit worried when I barreled my first upper also.  But for the price you can't beat doing it your self.  

The first thing you need is a US Marine Corp M16 Manual.  This is the best $6 you'll ever spend.  You can get one here  USMC M16 Manual

As for parts Sears has a set of pin punches that includes four pin punches (1/16, 3/32, 1/8, and 5/32 in.) and a 5/32 in. line-up tool.  Sears item #00904285000 Mfr. model #4285. Price $9.99 Then you'll need a torque wrench try one from Harbor Freight $19.99.  This is the most important tool you'll need the Armors action block from bushmaster $38.95.  Also needed is a Barrel wrench you can get a inexpensive one from Bushmaster $10.95 or a top of the line one from Guns-n-Stuff that worsk as a BBl wrench and a CAR stock wrench for $26 both will work. If you want to do everything by the book then get a set of Go no Go Gauges from BM for $20, generaly if the rifle can chamber a live round from the magazine in the new barrel it's fine.

So total you would have between $86 and $121 in tools that you can use again and again.

Not to make it sound like a total piece of cake but if you can turn a wrench you can assemble an upper.  I did have trouble with my BM dissipator barrel.  When I called BM for a short head space problem they told me to return the whole upper and they would take a look at it.  I told them that the upper receiver and bolt assembly was RRA and they told me send it any ways.  When I got it back they installed a max head space bolt at no cost to me and no hassle.  BM is a good company and will do you right.  

All told it's worth it to learn to build a rifle yourself and if you use good parts like the ones above you can't go wrong.

Daubs

Thanks, so much to you and the other posters.  That helps alot  just to have a good list of tools and parts needed.

I may take this on.  I need to get a workbench built since I never set one up after we moved in.  

I can't say enough good things about this board.  I have learned imensely from all you guys.  It's great to have a place like this to talk to everyone.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top