Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2004 11:38:23 AM EDT
The build went well aside from some first time builder operator error  It's an RRA lower (ADCO) with an M&A 16" post-ban LW kit, A3 upper, fixed FSB, CAR length fore-end, and LaRue fixed rear BUIS.  I was also trying out some EE bought 20rnd blued steel mags and a QD one piece scope riser (Thanks Mongo!).  

Everything ran fine, it ate 20 S&B "SS109" green tips, 60 XM193 55gr, and probably 30 BH 60gr V-Max ballistic tips.  No FTE / FTF or other issues.  The best overall group was a 4 shot cloverleaf at the 25yd line with XM193.  I need more range time for a 100yd group that I'd be willing to post about  I also need to spend some time at the 50 yd before I try the BUIS at 100 again...  Not a sight problem, again operator error.  

Observations: Definately a different animal from the 16A1's I've had more time with lately.  There's a difference with the carbine gas system and shorter sight distance vs the full length on the other gun.  Oddly the heavier BH ammo was shooting probably 4" high vs the XM193.  Not what I expected at all.  But I'm probably just thinking backwards anyway.  I'm thinking an NM front post might not be a bad idea unless I'm told otherwise here.  

Overall it was really nice to have another flawless first day out.  Between my G22 and now my AR I think I'm getting spoiled  I'd recommend an M&A kit to anyone, and have a couple locals almost ready to order.  Black Rifle Disease strikes again!
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Between my G22 and now my AR I think I'm getting spoiled

lol!
For a first rifle, this was a good choice. I am doind a similar lightweight build (my first also!), but I am picky so I'm going with a Bushmaster barrel (I'm a chrome-lining nerd, what can I say). I definitely think the kits are the most 'bang for your buck' way to get an AR these days. Good luck with it!
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
<Nomex zipped up tight>Yeah I really don't see the point of a chrome lined bbl personally.  I could be wrong, but AFAIK it's awful tough to find a Rem 700 with a chrome barrel, and they tend to do ok  I even took the chrome off the bumpers of my car.</Nomex removed>  

It's not my first rifle though, that would be my POS FA91.  Amusing to shoot as long as you don't care to hit anything and you like to see exactly how much damage a rifle can do to a case.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Contrast is a bit off, invoking the new camera excuse...  Also excuse the bargain basement single point adapter...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...  Also excuse the bargain basement single point adapter...

Actually, I like the sling adapter!  It's a great idea and I'll definitely try it on my rifles.  I like 550 paracord and use it for attaching the front of the sling to the FSB.  C_M
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
As a tip, make sure you 'gut' the cord before you do that, I set it up quick before some range time and didn't.  <sarc> Was a lot of fun clearing some malfunctions and forcing the charging handle over it.  I didn't want to buy an A2 single point plate when I expect to be using a car stock soon.  

edited to add - another view
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice, like the end profile on barrel.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nice, like the end profile on barrel.

I think that might be revised as well...    For use on a separate no-ban folding lower of course...

edited to add:

I also should mention that since the start of this thread the carbine has had another ~700 rnds run through, and aside from a gas tube alignment issue that was fixed with some careful beating and 550 cord all usually well.  Occaisonal errors are being tracked to specific mags and it's midway through some fouling reliability testing.  IE, I haven't cleaned it in a few weeks
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice carbine! I was gonna compliment you on your good taste until I saw that glock in the picture!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nice carbine! I was gonna compliment you on your good taste until I saw that glock in the picture!

Heh, well a 'real' .45 is on the list, probably after a G27 and G21
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top