Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2004 10:55:00 PM EDT
Would like to get a new upper and use my existing bolt to save some $$ so I can get a scope for the rifle. Easier at this point than buying a complete second rifle and or an upper complete with another bolt.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You probably could, but it's not a good idea.

Chances are, the headspace might be fine, but why take the chance? Besides that, the bolt will be worn in to the original barrel lugs and you could get some strange wear.

If you want to save some money, you could buy a bolt assembly for the new upper and use the original carrier.

Whatever you decide, have the headspace checked, regardless.

Have fun and stay safe!

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:49:12 AM EDT
[#2]
While bad headspace can result in a kaboom, chances are 99.999+% that it will headspace just fine.  I have headspaced many rifles/bolts but have yet to come across one that didn't make the cut.  The barrel assy or bolt would have to be screwed up from the manufacturer or either/both be hideously worn, and I mean WORN.

You can use the same bolt bottom line.  If you are worried about strange wear, just make sure you start with the uppers clean, then check for abnormal wear, metal shavings, etc... These you would only really get with strange bolt CARRIER wear, and I assume you mean using the same bolt AND bolt carrier.

Remember that the headspace is set by the barrel manufacturer so if it's out of spec, not much you can do about it, and they are checked at the factory.  A business that put's out bad headspaced barrels (barrel extension acutally) would suffer severely at the hands of lawyers in short order.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top