Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2004 9:16:28 PM EDT
I am planning on my first gun kote project.  I plan on finishing a new Bushmaster 16 inch M4 barrel that is already parked.   Is there anything I need to do to prep the barrel or site block aside from degrease of course?  I understand that gun kote goes on well over park so I think that is all I need to do.  I have everything else lined up except the oven.  I don't dare use my wifes nice oven.  So to build an (inexpensive) oven will a 24 inch long 6 inch diameter piece of ventilation pipe capped make an effective oven with a heat gun stuck through a small hole in the end?  I am worried about being able to sustain the 300 degrees.  I also worry about weather or not the temp will be even or if it will be much hotter on one side than the other.  Should I leave a ventilation hole opposite the heatgun to allow for air circulation?  Anyone who has done this please give me some feedback
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you could fit something that long in a standard kitchen oven.

I'm in the middle of building a programable oven just for baked on finishes. I was planning on doing it anyway, but it ended up being a school project for an electronics course.

Here's an example of a homemade oven you might think about. but it should have a fan in it.

Oven plans here
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless youve allready bought the KG Id recommend you look into the Lauer Duracoat, My experences show that the Duracoat is tougher and more appealing visually, Also it "cooks" at a much lower temp, im planning to Duracoat the Upper/Lower and Barrel in OD Duracoat on my next Build,....UDOG
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top