Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2004 5:22:30 AM EDT
I've been hanging aorund for a couple months. I've lurked, searched, read and obtained information but not enough. I need help building my own rifle. So i'm going to essentially allow you to build my rifle and spend my money. I would like to stay around the 1200- mark. This is purly for plinking and maybe small varmint hunting. Needs to be able to have 4lbs - trigger, bipod and scoped. Oher than that possibilties are endless. I'll be starting w/ a clean slate and allot of parts. Let the fun begin Jason
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:47:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Model 1 or J&T 20" Varmint kit. 20" SS barrel, A4 upper, FlipDown front sight - around 600.

www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=KV2000&storeid=1&image=V20k.gif

ARMS #40 flip down rear.  -100
Arms #22 High Rings with 1" adaptor - 140

www.adcofirearms.com/acc/arms.cfm?page=&item=38SEX&desc=EL%20swan%20sleeve%20with%20sight%2D&brand=&rfile=&quickfind=

Bushnell 3200 5 by 15 * 50 Scope - 300

www.riflescopes.com/products/325155M/bushnell_elite_3200_5-15x50.htm

Total shipped for around 1100.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:56:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Model 1 or J&T 20" Varmint kit. 20" SS barrel, A4 upper, FlipDown front sight - around 600.

www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=KV2000&storeid=1&image=V20k.gif

The link is showing a a3 upper. IS this what you ment or is the a4 avail (couldn't find this option in the list).

Jason
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I assume you saved the last $100 for a lower receiver...

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Oops

A3/A4 same thing (Flat top)

Forgot about the receiver!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers, Otto

Doesn't the above come w/ a reciver? Maybe your suggesting an aftermarket reciver? If so which?

Jason
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#6]
What part of PA are you in?

I can't play now but my solution would be to go to the EE and find a used rifle for the best price.  Then go to the EE and get as many extras as you can afford to add.  You don't wear out AR-15 stuff too often and used stuff is much cheaper.  Over time, I will bet that you will want to try a little of everything and buying used will allow you to later sell used for what you paid for it...  Hell, I have got to try lots of configurations because of my thrifty habbits on the EE!

So, I will play a little...

This rifle:  www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=207713
This trigger:  www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=207191
And a used RAS (like www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=206872

Just over $1100 and would be a great starting setup and you can sell stuff off as you upgrade later!

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Try this one on for size….

Part Cost Source
Lower receiver…
RRA Lower receiver $95.00 RB Precision
RRA Lower Parts kit $54.44 Adco Firearms
WOA tuned RRA trigger                     $115.33                     Adco Firearms
Calvary Arms C1 Buttstock $74.00 Adrenaline Arms
Sierra Precision SPR Grip $28.00 Adrenaline Arms

Upper Receiver…
RRA A4 upper receiver                     $90.00 RB Precision or Adco
Wilson 20" 1/8 SS Varmint Barrel                     $180.00                     RB Precision
Rifle length gas tube $8.50 Adco Firearms
PRI Gasbuster CH $85.00 RB Precision
LMT Enhanced Bolt $155.00                     Denny's guns
LMT Standard Bolt Carrier $88.00 Denny's guns
RRA Aluminum Free Float tube                     $55.00 RB Precision
Harris Bipod $60.00 Number of places

Total $1,088.27

Notes:
1. You said “Varmint rig” so that’s what I designed. No need for railed handguards or BUIS on a varmint rig.
2. This price does not include, FFL transfer fee (for the lower), shipping costs or any tools you may need to build.
3. You weren’t clear (to me anyway) whether $1200 should include the optics or not? As is, you have only $111.73 left for a scope and mount. If $1200 has to cover everything and is a fixed number, substitute a standard CH for the Gas Buster. Substitute a RRA Enhanced Bolt\Carrier instead of the LMT pieces. That will save you around another $213. $324 isn’t a lot for a scope and mounts but do-able.
4. The dealers listed were merely reference points. I would suggest you make your shopping list and forward it to Jason @ JTAC Supply [email protected] . He should be able to get most everything on this list for a very competitive price. Try to keep your ordering down to as few dealers as possible in order to save some shipping costs.

So does that work for ya?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers, Otto

Doesn't the above come w/ a reciver? Maybe your suggesting an aftermarket reciver? If so which?

Jason

Timinator: I couldn't resist.  ;-)

Jason:

No, Model1 kits, as well as kits by just about everybody, including J&T, DPMS, Olympic, among many others, are everyting but the lower receiver.  
See on the link where it says, "all kits are complete - less stripped lower receiver"?
This way you can buy all the parts mail order without paperwork or shipping hassles, and pick up the receiver from a dealer.  The competition among dealers makes them cheap with very slim profit margins, I'm told.

The lower receiver just has to do the job of holding everything together, so any decent quality one would work, and if you've been lurking a while you'll know there are many mil-spec lowers to choose from in the $100-125 range.  Personally, I use mainly Eagle Arms lowers, but that is primarily because I live close to Quantico Arms and picking them up is a breeze.

Cheers, and have fun buildin'
Otto
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top