Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 1:22:08 PM EDT
I finally recieved the Mags and Sako brass so I'm posting an update on my build.

-- The Kit --
The Good : Gun is gorgeous! I got tons of questions at the range about what it was, where I got it, and how could someone get one like it :)  
The Bad : Upper and lower receiver have some play when put togher which will probably not help accuracy.  Ordered an DPMS Accu-wedge  from midway-usa that should arrive this week
The Ugly : Brass was badly deformed after firing, necks were mangled and the case had divets from the bolt carrier riding over it..

-- The Sako Brass --
Was longer then he maximum length and since I do not have a cutter for this caliber I had to use a file to try to shorten it.

-- My Loads --
Sako brass, CCI BR4, 26.1 gr Varget, 107gr SMK OAL 2.185" (longest that would load from mag)
25   yards : 3 in same hole
50   yards :4"
100 yards : 10"
-- Insufficient velocity/twist to stabilize

Sako brass, CCI BR4, 26.1 gr Varget, 105gr VLD OAL 2.185" (longest that would load from mag)
25   yards : 1/4"
50   yards : 8"
100 yards : some not on paper
-- Not even close to enough velocity/twist to stabilize

Sako brass, CCI BR4, 26.1 gr Varget, 107gr A-MAX OAL 2.185" (longest that would load from mag)
25   yards : 1/2"
50   yards : 1"
100 yards : 5"
-- marginally stable with this twist/velocity

-- Future Plans --
Take pics so everyone can see the gun :)
Try to increase the velocity on the A-Max loads to see if they stabilize
Try lighter bullets (85gr V-max .0400 BC looks good)
Purchased some Lapua 7.62x39 brass and redding forming dies to make better quality brass
Contacted Lee Precision for a custom 6PPC length trimmer (4-6 weeks)

--Chris
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet

By the way, what is your barrel twist?  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Does this kit use special magazines and bolt?  Could I just install their barrell on my upper?

Mike
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The PPC Case is a necked, trimmed 7.62x39 or 220 russian case so It uses a 7.62x39 bolt and mags..  The barrel twist is 1:8" according to the sales guys at model 1... I will use the tight fitting patch/masking tape method to check this tonight..  I also talked to the Sierra Ballisticians last night and they where able to get ~2700 fps out of the 6 PPC with their 107 SMK using W748 powder.  And ~2600 fps with 27.1 gr of Varget so I'll try working my Varget load to the maximum and also try the W748.  I know its marginally stable so the extra 100-200 fps may be enough to stabilize... Otherwise I'm switching to the 87gr Vmax bullets..

--Chris
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Just gotta warn ya, the few loads I tried in my 6mm PPC, the primers looked a little flat.  I don't recall what velocity it was at, but I used a few 105/107gr bullets.  I also tried some 90gr ones..... but my bore sighting of the scope was off....so no accuracy testing was done...mainly feed/function tests.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Would you mind posting the loads you tried?? Did they stabilize?  What twist/velocity where you running?  COAL to feed from the mag??

Thanks in advance,

--Chris
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Would you mind posting the loads you tried?? Did they stabilize?  What twist/velocity where you running?  COAL to feed from the mag??

Thanks in advance,

--Chris

Well, my upper was built by Tony Rumore of Tromix.  The very first 6mm PPC Tromix did.  It is a 24" bull barrel w/ a 1:8 twist.

I'm gonna have to look up my loads.....

Silly me, I thought I had to find my reloading notes and I forgot I wrote the loads on the box

Lets see......

Speer 105gr Spitzer
25.0gr Benchmark
2.24"

Nosler 95gr BT
26.0gr Benchmark
2.130"

Hornaday 70gr SX SP
27.0gr Hogan Benchmark
2.100"

The data was on the bottle (but it's on the site too: Hodgdon 6mm PPC Data

Some of the other data was off of a publication that was sold at the local store.  Can't recall, but I think it was Hodgdon's yearly pub. on loads.  I just sat there coping the info....  That is written down some where.  I can say this much, all the loads are "middle of the road".  At about 60% of suggested max.

None of the loads have been chronographed.....  I was more interested in seeing if they chambered since my brass was "given" to me (aka used) when I took it out last.  I'll have to go shoot some one of these days at 25yds to see if it stableized.  I'm sure the lighter loads did, but not sure about the 105gr loading....

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top