Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2004 2:29:49 PM EDT
Greenhorn in of some need some help deciding on what upper to buy. I am turning my shorty Bushmaster into a varmit rifle. I have been looking at the Rock River 20" EPO and also a Wilson national match 24" upper. Do any of you guys have any recomendations on what to buy or what not to buy? I am looking for as much percision as possible for right around $500. Would a 24" barel out shoot a 22"? What is the optimom twist ratio? Any help would be great.
Thanx, Drennan
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can get the dealer price from Brownells you can get a complete DPMS bbl stainless with chrome bolt included for less then $500.  I have the 16 inch and love it although I had it armor tuffed so its not stainless anymore.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi Drennan:

I have a Rock River Varminter with a 24" wilson stainless 1 in 8 twist barrel. It will shot dime size 5 shot groups at 100yds when I do my part. You might want to look at the Rock River website and check out their uppers.

Good luck in your choice.

George in snowly and cold Seattle
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#3]
You can use a 1/9 twist for up to 69gr. bullets, but a 1/8 would be better for heavy rounds.  Stainless has accuracy/corrosion advantages.  After 20" of barrel you are not getting much more of a speed fps advantage and I don't know why people get these long barrels unless it's for the extended sight distance with iron sights, or for looks.  A free-floating handguard is going to give you the most accuracy advantage out of any change you can make.  I would go with a 20" free-floated stainless barreled upper by whatever manufacturer you could find.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses guys. But I just got back from buying a Bushmaster Varmiteer. I hope it was a good choice. As usual I just couldn't wait.Now I have got to figure out what scope to buy for no more than $400. Any Ideas????
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top