Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2003 6:52:18 PM EDT
I just discovered this great web community a week ago, and I already have an RRA lower receiver on the way...

Anyway I have one question: If a post-ban upper/barrel is purchased now, what must be done in order to install a bayonet lug on it in the future? This is considering that the AWB will sunset.

Might as well ask one more: is it possible to purchase a 1911 frame and build it the same (low cost) way as an AR15?

Many thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically, you would need to swap out the front sight tower with a preban one because the lug is attached to it. But...I believe that the preban and post ban towers might have different hole patterns for the taper pins holding it to the barrel. Maybe someone will chime in here that knows for sure.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Might as well ask one more: is it possible to purchase a 1911 frame and build it the same (low cost) way as an AR15?
View Quote

I looked into that after building my AR, based on what I found, I couldn't see any easy way, there are 80% lowers available, but you need quite a bit of machining to finish on the 1911.

Someone else might know something I don't about the 1911 possibility.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen 1911 frames for sale in Shotgun News.  I can't remember the company selling them though.  I'll track down the last issue and look through it again.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.sarcoinc.com/pistols-frames.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.sarcoinc.com/pistols-frames.html[/url]
View Quote

Very nice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I was on a build squad for a 1911 over the summer, I think the 80% frames came from KT ordnance, they are much easier to build than an 80% AR, all you need to do is cut the slide rails and do some minor fitting. People have done all the machining with a dremel, I also think it would be possible with hacksaw blades and files, but I used my mill. Just be sure to use good parts for the build, I used brazillian police surplus and had to replace a few parts.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
But...I believe that the preban and post ban towers might have different hole patterns for the taper pins holding it to the barrel.
View Quote

Is this true???  I've seen preban and postban towers, and they appear to be same but I've never taken one off to compare with.  Would like confirmation.

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But...I believe that the preban and post ban towers might have different hole patterns for the taper pins holding it to the barrel.
View Quote

Is this true???  I've seen preban and postban towers, and they appear to be same but I've never taken one off to compare with.  Would like confirmation.

View Quote

I was told that but have never had a chance to compare the two. I asked an AR guru buddy of mine today and he said they were the same home pattern, so who knows.

I am assuming the holes are the same, so swapping the towers out should be no biggie.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Pre and postban FSB's are generally the same thing, with the postban version just having the lug ground off.  Problem is that the taper pin holes in the FSB and barrel are usually drilled at the same time.  If you buy a new FSB, it probably won't have the pin holes drilled in it yet, and trying to drill new ones that line up with the existing holes/grooves in the barrel would be very difficult.  If the FSB does come with the taper pin holes already drill, chances are they won't line up with the barrel holes/grooves, and since this is a [b]taper[/b] pin hole, may be the wrong size on either side of the FSB.

Your best bet would be to buy a Armalite FSB with lug.  These clamp onto the barrel, instead of being pinned on.  The only downside to this, is that the clamped on FSB will not hold up as well to side impacts, causing a shift in POA.  For range/hunting/plinking duty though, the clamp-on FSB sight should work fine. You could attach a ARMS SIR #58MOD, KAC RAS MRE, etc., which would help protect the FSB from side impacts, if you are worried about this sort of thing.

As for building a 1911 up from a frame, it can be done, but it takes a lot more finesse and experience to build one what will be accurate and reliable.  Most of the parts on a 1911 will have to be hand fitted, which takes some skill, unlike building an AR-15 which just takes tools.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen too many front sight base swaps go bad, so I usually recommend just replacing the barrel.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top