Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 5:28:27 PM EDT
Okay, the threads are right hand.  I still can't get the handguard to move.  It is a 1 piece tube, so it also acts as the barrel nut.

I've got the upper receiver block and insert.  Unfortunately I don't have a strap wrench or even a pipe wrench.  I've been using a large set of channel locks with no luck.  Wrong tool for the job, but that's what I've got and I'm not worried about messing up the old tube.

I've used CLP, brake fluid and even put the upper in the freezer.  Still can't get the tube to move.  Any suggestions?  Please help, I want to send this barrel to KKF soon.
Thanks
Scott  

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes they are right hand...make sure you put some grease on the threads and don't cross the threads.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I do plan on using grease, if I can ever get to the point of reassembly.  Right now I can't get the damn thing apart.
Thanks again,
Scott
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#3]
A light 'shock' will help break it loose better than a constant pull. You could spot drill a  place near the rear of the guard, approximately over the threaded area, (1/8 X 1/8 or so), have someone hold some pressure on your strap wrench/vise grips while you whack a punch seated in the drill spot (on about a 30/45 deg angle). You can later drill other spots at regular intervals around the guard to make it look as if it was supposed to look that way. You might first try holding twist on the tube and shocking it (light raps) with a soft face hammer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#4]

You did remove the gas tube/front sight assembly, right???  If not it will prevent the 1-piece FF handguard from rotating.

Try heating the outside of the handguard back near the threaded portion with a small propane torch.  Warm it until water dripped on it will quickly boil away.  This will cause the H/G to expand slightly loosening it's grip on the barrel flange and upper receiver.  Also if some moron previously used LocTite when installing the H/G, the heat will breakdown the bond.  Quickly try loosening the H/G before the heat is conducted into the upper.  Whatever tool you are using to loosen the H/G, grasp the H/G as far back as you can over the receiver threads.

If you don't have a strap wrench try to get one.  If not, try a large pipe wrench with two pieces of an old, thick leather belt inserted between the jaws and your H/G.  Again, grab it over the receiver threads.

Good Luck.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  I did remove the gas tube so that isn't an issue.  I'll have to break out the torch and hammer.  Maybe I'll break down and get a strap wrench too.
Thanks again.
Scott
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top