Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2003 2:50:49 AM EDT
Hey guys, I am at the last stage with my SPR build.I got my barrel today from ADCO (very happy with it by the way!)I have everything installed just fine EXCEPT the PRI front sight.It is the older style before even the 4 set screw.My sight has the two cross pins that go through the barrel, ala the one on the left:

(thanks for the photos WES)
My barrel has no cut outs.I was going to set the sight,align it like in the Army TM, mark the location and go slow with a needle file to make the slots in the barrel until the bolts fit tight and it is aligned.Any suggestions, advice (besides get a different sight or send to so-and-so), is this the right way to tackle this job?  
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
G3K-
We all would want instant gratification in a case like this and find a way to make your sight work now but don't do it!!

I see two choices with the top shelf parts you are using.

1. Sell the PRI for a new two bolt clamp model.
2. Send it off to be done by a professional

I'd sell it for $150. It's only a few bucks less but it'll sell and buy the right one.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks mk1iii,I was afriad I might get an answer like that! Any other opinions,is it that hard to groove barrel? I dont need to drill , the bolt doesn't go that high.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#3]
G3K-
I'm not sure why there hasn't been more of a response so far so here's a BTT for you.

It would be easy to file the taper pin recesses for the PRI with maybe a chain saw file,but having them end up straight would be the kicker. You don't want a canted, mucked up sight and barrel. Maybe there's a machine shop that can help, but already you're laying out more dough and it'll still be a gamble.

Good luck either way. If it was me I would've been up on the first night till 3 am in the morning trying to do it myself and by 8am be on the Equipment Exchange looking to sell my barrel because I won't be happy with the results, and looking for a new one to replace it at a $200 loss. Don't be that guy! [chainsawkill]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top