Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2003 7:33:14 PM EDT
As deer season comes to an end here in Texas I start looking for something to do. I decide that I am going to go on the prairie dog mass murder rampage. After looking at the carnage at dogbegone.com and comparing the ballistics I think that the .22-250 blows up the p-dog in a much more graphic fashion (I like the flips and twists in the air). I wanted to use the AR platform but found that you have to use the AR10 to build a .22-250 AR. This sucks as I have overspent on the monthly gun budget (again) and a $2K p-dog gun was going to be a while coming and I want to start wacking the little bastards ASAP. So I head down the store and look for a 22-250 to quell my urge. Look at Remmeys and Ruger, Weatherbys and more Remmys and give up because nothing looks kick ass like the AR. Go home and start digging in the wildcat pages and finally find what I'm looking for. Sterm Ruger has just released the 204 Ruger in 5 models. ruger.com/Firearms/News-11-06-2003.html I can build an AR upper in this caliber and get exactly what I need. The 204 is
totaly based on the .223, 4225 FPS, flatter than the 22-250, and Ruger claims that the barrel wont fade out. 32 grn.-40 grn. and Hornady is alreadly loading www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/204ruger.asp so hopefully it won't be some left-field wildcat caliber. I was hoping someone that could add to this thread to help me out here. Need a barrel source in an AR profile and if no one has one can a competent gunsmith cut a .204 barrel blank and fit the barrel extention correctly? Also any other concerns I should consider? i.e gas system adjustments, etc..

Thanks in advance.

J    
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I was watching a show on one of the outdoor channels about prairie dog hunting in Montana, they are a real pest!  Several of the shooters were using AR15's, looks like fun!  Another show was hunting nutria in Louisiana, a nutria is a large rodent imported from South America, and is very destructive, kind of like a water rat.

A few years ago I was bench rest testing some loads in my 22-250 when a large crow landed downrange, I popped him, looked up and saw a huge cloud of feathers, went downrange and couldn't find anything but bloody feathers!

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top