Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2003 9:54:41 AM EDT
I like the looks of the 3 prong fh more than the birdcage fh that came on my rifle.  Are the threads the same where I could switch the birdcage for a 3 prong?
Thanks
Jim
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like you want to put a [b]Pre Ban[/b] flash hider on a [b]Post Ban[/b] rifle, [i]if that's what you want to do, you can't.[/i]

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Birdcage is on PB.  I just like the looks of the 3 Prong better.
Jim
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Threads are the same, at least for me they were.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, the threads are the same.  Just unscrew your birdcage and screw on the 3-prong.  The 3-prong uses a split lock washer rather than the peel washer, but it doesn't really matter what you use as long as some kind of a washer is under it.  

To prevent damage to the tines of the 3-prong during installation, it's suggested you use the correct wrench.  Here's a pic of what it looks like.  You can get one through Fulton Armory.......

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=83176&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/083176.jpg[/img][/url]

I think Olympic Arms also sells a combo tool with the 3-prong slots.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help.  Just the words I wanted to hear.
Jim
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]
And just a reminder: you don't *shoot* the wire off the C-rat case; you just *twist* it until it breaks...  ;)
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It sounds like you want to put a [b]Pre Ban[/b] flash hider on a [b]Post Ban[/b] rifle, [i]if that's what you want to do, you can't.[/i]
View Quote

now when he said threaded barrel and birdcage flash hider, where was the part that made you think that meant his rifle is post-ban
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#8]
The FS tools are nice, but if you don't want to wait for one to come in the mail or just don't want to buy one. Use a kitchen knife through the prongs.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]
now when he said threaded barrel and birdcage flash hider, where was the part that made you think that meant his rifle is post-ban
View Quote

...if that's what you want to do
View Quote

He didn't specify if it was Pre or Post, since many of the post bans come with a fake flash hider, he might have assumed there were threads underneath.  I just wanted to clarify, you don't know if you don't ask.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top