Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2003 6:19:02 AM EDT
With the AWB expiring in less than 9 months, I'm thinking twice before buying a post-ban CAR stock.  Can I buy a pre-ban collapsible and pin it myself and remove the pin on 9/16?  If that's legal, how do I do it?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on guys, somebody gotta know.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The only solution would be to blind pin in a way that would not be easily removable, and then submit the sample to BATF for approval.

The only way that I could see you even trying to accomplish the task is to start with an aluminum butt stock, then blind pin and weld the hole pin hole closed. Blind pinning on a fiberlite stock and using JB weld to close the hole has not been allowed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember reading about people un-pin their post ban CAR stock, adjust it to a desirable length then re-pin it.  You mean that's illegal?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I remember reading about people un-pin their post ban CAR stock, adjust it to a desirable length then re-pin it.  You mean that's illegal?
View Quote

MOST, post-ban Non collapsing CAR stocks are a full length buffer tube and you couldn't break "the pin" and make them shorter.  With these stocks the plastic stock is glued to the end of a CAR shaped full length buffer and short of cutting the stock off, shortening the buffer tube, welding a new cap on the buffer tube, replacing the buffer and buffer spring for CAR units (post-ban stocks come with rifle buffers and springs), and then you may need to mill new catches into the shortened buffer tube....  well, I just don't see people as being likely to want to do that much work to convert a $50 used item!

In answer to the question, you need to decide for yourself on what a "folding stock" is...  The BATFE has said that a collapsing stock is a folding stock BUT there is no guidance beyond that as to what is needed to make it "non-folding".

With AKMS (AK-47 folding stocks) guys use a simple tac weld that could be easily ground off and the stock refinished later if the law dies without replacement so I assume you could apply the same logic to the AR-15 CAR stock.  The problem with the plastic stock is there is no easy way to weld her in a specific position.  You might try eppoxy as your liability is much less then a manufacturer who needed to make sure a person couln't easily modify their stock to an illegal form.

You might be able to do it with a metal stock as well but I am not sure it is worth the effort at this time.  If you did, I would argue that the tac weld could be adequate as this is how other weapons get around the issue.

Personally, I would look for a cheap used Post-Ban CAR stock or use what you have until you see what the bill does.  You may want to have a CAR stock in the safe at home, however, just in case the Crime Bill sunsets for a brief period before some new law comes into effect.

Good Luck!
QB
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you Quarterbore and have a Happy New Year.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top