Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2003 7:04:31 PM EDT
Can anyone help me?  I've finally decided to build a carbine length AR, lot's of experience with 20's (DCM).  I've got a couple of Wilson 1/9 16" bbls. I need to thread, chamber, and index the gas hole, but I cannot find a mil-spec or experienced recommendation for the gas port size,  anybody know what works best before I start drilling the wrong size hole in the new barrels, probably using just 55 to 69 grainers.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Start with .063", test fire with 1 round in mag... see if the bolt-carrier locks back when fired... go from there till bolt locks open firmly.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Start with .063"...
View Quote

That is interesting. I have a 20" HBAR that I cut back to 14.5" and reshaped the profile to take carbine handguards. The gas port in the barrel is .096"...

My question is what should a 14.5" barrel have for a gas port??? I was thinking it should be bigger than .096", but if a shorter barrel goes smaller, I'll have to plug and drill the front sight/gas block...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top