Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2003 4:59:46 AM EDT
I'm looking to make a few 80% lowers. Once I have them finished...I would like to do something better than spray paint them or cold blue...what else is there...I'm guessing this would have to be a "do-it-at-home" project since this is an un registered lower...
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are using a cast 80% (tanneryshop, natl-ord, etc) you can annodize the surface for wear resistance, but it will not take the dye.  Your best bet is to annodize, then use one of the bake on finishes.  They are very tough, and gun oils,chemicals will not soften or remove them.

If you are using a forged lower, it can be annodized and dyed just like bushie, colt, etc.  Same goes for the billet made lowers.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have any online links to sites on purchasing this stuff and various costs involved... Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]www.caswellplating.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]
For lots of info on all types of plating and anodizing, here's the 222 page [url=http://www.mindspring.com/~kmeans/ARFcom/manual.pdf]Caswell Plating Manual[/url].  (You probably want to right-click on the link and select "Save as...")  It's almost 4MB so give it some time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are using a cast 80% (tanneryshop, natl-ord, etc) you can annodize the surface for wear resistance, but it will not take the dye.
View Quote

Not true...if they are properly anodized, they  dye quite nicely.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not true...if they are properly anodized, they  dye quite nicely.
View Quote

Do you have any pointers for the these?  It seems that several people here have tried to anodize Tannery Shop lowers and they all had trouble getting the dye to take.  I'm getting ready to try and anodize a few of these, so if you have a method that works I'd sure like to hear it before I screw up a few of them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
John Norrell's coating are the best I have found

http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_tips.asp

Copy/paste the above address and it has ordering info.  He recommends a cheap airbrush (mine cost 5 bucks) and the finish is beautiful, no drips, runs, sags, just even finish.

An advantage of this type finish is very easy touch-up, something that is all but impossible with annodized color coats. Plus it is about the most corrosion pruf coating you can get.

For less than 30 bucks you can get enough stuff to finish several complete rifles.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Try Caswell's de-ox solution on those castings before anodizing.  That should dissolve the impurities so that the anodize/dye worx better.

I would at least clear anodize.  It is not a good idea to paint a bare alum receiver.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Check the links posted above for Caswell Plating and their manual. All the information is there.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top