Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2003 5:39:46 PM EDT
Can Someone help me gather a list of tools needed to build a lower. I have some part numbers from brownells for the punches but I could use some help with anything else so I can get to it. Part numbers would help. thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The only tool I used other than the roll pin tools was a brass drift 1/4 inch diameter, I used that for installing the detent pin for the front pivot pin.  That detent was the most challenging thing in the whole build, I launched it across the room 2 or 3 times, very lucky I found it.  One suggestion I have seen is to install that particular pin inside a clear plastic baggie, a large one of course, this will catch the pin when it slips and launches!  I was looking at the installation tool for that purpose recently, it occurred to me that it would be easy to fabricate out of 1/4 inch wooden dowel, drill a hole slightly larger than the detent pin, install the spring and pin thru the hole, then turn the dowel to retain the detent pin, then you can follow that thru with the pivot pin, do it in a bag of course so it doesn't get lost.

The only other tools I used were normal household tools, screwdriver, crecent wrench etc.

Look on this page under Pivot Pin Assembly to see the tool I referred to, should be easy to fabricate out of a wood dowel.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/[/url]

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, forget fabricating anything for the front pivot pin tool.  Spend a buck at any hardware store and get a 1/4" clevis pin.  Buff the holes in the clevis pin to remove any burrs inside and out and it makes the best front pivot pin installation tool you will ever see.  No chance for springs and detent to go flying either.  Put the clevis pin in the lower (from left side) and align a hole in the clevis pin with the pivot pin detent hole and drop the spring and detent through the hole in the clevis pin, take a punch to depress the detent through the clevis pin, rotate the clevis pin 90 degrees, remove punch,  push out the clevis pin as you push in the pivot pin.  Turns the hardest part of assembling the lower into a 30 second job, even if it is your first time.

Also, do yourself a favor and get roll pin punches and roll pin holders and you will not take any chance of marring the ends of the roll pins and the holders make starting them a breeze.  Both tools are available from Brownells and are worth their weight in gold.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:31:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, I look forward to building my first with the suggestions you had. Let ya know how it turns out.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top