Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2003 6:57:09 PM EDT
Just got word from Quantico Arms today that my stripped lower receiver has shipped.  I'll be meeting up with my FFL buddy next week to transfer ownership.  his
After talking to a 1LT. friend of mine at Ft. Drum, I'm going with an M4 kit.  He said he likes his M4 better than the M16.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
GASP!

Well, you have been infected.  You won't be able to stop at just one....

I'm sorry, there is no cure..... except to keep feeding the habbit [:D]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
GASP!

Well, you have been infected.  You won't be able to stop at just one....

I'm sorry, there is no cure..... except to keep feeding the habbit [:D]
View Quote

I'm already planning a 2nd depending on how well this one goes.

And I've been eyeing up that .50 cal conversion ... a bit out of my price range right now, but still cool.  [:)]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
GASP!  You have a terrible infection indeede... planning the second BEFORE the 1st is even done?!?! [:D]

Well, I missed the rest of the question...the tips.

To put in the pivot pin.... go get a 1/4" clevis pin (w/ lots of holes in it).  Put the pin in on the opposit side that the pivot goes.  Line up one of the holes...drop in the spring throught the pin and into the lower.  Put the detent and use a small nail or something that fits in the hole to push the detent into lower.  While holding detend down, turn the pin so the clevis pin holds in detent/spring in.  Now, with the AR pin, push the clevis pin out.  IF done right, the spring/detent should engage the AR pin slot.  Oh, do this step in a clear plastic back, incase the spring and detent goes flying, it will be "in the bag" (pun intended).

Get yourself a roll pin punch set.  This will help in putting in the trigger guard pin and the pin to hold the bolt hold open.  To keep from maring the lower when installing the bolt hold open pin, put some masking tape (a few layers) on the lower so incase you do slip, you won't scratch the lower.  The punch set can also be used to help put the trigger and hammer in (line all up and put the punch in the holes, smaller dia.)  And then use another punch (or a plastic mallet) to put the pin in.

You'll have to start the roll pin for the bolt hold open first...since holding in the catch and trying to start the pin is well... difficult.  But I guess I'm stating the obvisoue.

Make sure all pin holes are clean.  Using a drill bit to make sure they are free of "obstructions" helps.  Take your time, don't rush things.

Dang it, I can't think of anything else....
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll probably invest in a dremel, in case anything needs cleaned up or ground down.  I found a few sites that list a set of tools needed to put an AR together.  I also plan on picking up a book on how to put this thing together.

[snoopy]  ... cool animation.  [:)]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'll probably invest in a dremel, in case anything needs cleaned up or ground down.  I found a few sites that list a set of tools needed to put an AR together.  I also plan on picking up a book on how to put this thing together.

[snoopy]  ... cool animation.  [:)]
View Quote

I've assembled only 1 aluminum lower, but I have done 4(?) Cav-15 plastic lowers.  For the Cav, I only used my Leatherman Wave and Crunch.

For the AL lower, I used an adjustable wrench, hammer, masking tape, punch set and my Leatherman.  That's all....
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Get yourself a roll pin punch set. This will help in putting in the trigger guard pin and the pin to hold the bolt hold open. To keep from maring the lower when installing the bolt hold open pin, put some masking tape (a few layers) on the lower so incase you do slip, you won't scratch the lower. The punch set can also be used to help put the trigger and hammer in (line all up and put the punch in the holes, smaller dia.) And then use another punch (or a plastic mallet) to put the pin in.
View Quote

You can get the Roll Pin Punchs from Brownells, they are $3+ change each, and Brownells has a small order shipping option that costs $3.60 for first class mail.  Here are the sizes you need. [url]http://www.brownells.com[/url]

230-100-003  #3 Roll Pin Punch 3/32"
230-100-004  #4 Roll Pin Punch 1/8"

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, Wingman.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I also plan on picking up a book on how to put this thing together.
View Quote

Don't do that! Print and read this;
[url]ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get yourself a roll pin punch set. This will help in putting in the trigger guard pin and the pin to hold the bolt hold open. To keep from maring the lower when installing the bolt hold open pin, put some masking tape (a few layers) on the lower so incase you do slip, you won't scratch the lower. The punch set can also be used to help put the trigger and hammer in (line all up and put the punch in the holes, smaller dia.) And then use another punch (or a plastic mallet) to put the pin in.
View Quote

You can get the Roll Pin Punchs from Brownells, they are $3+ change each, and Brownells has a small order shipping option that costs $3.60 for first class mail.  Here are the sizes you need. [url]http://www.brownells.com[/url]

230-100-003  #3 Roll Pin Punch 3/32"
230-100-004  #4 Roll Pin Punch 1/8"
View Quote

Do yourself a real favor and check out the tools at [url]www.adcofirearms.com[/url].

Some guys have had problems with the Browell's punches. I have all of ADCO's tools and they are absolutely first-rate, and the prices are great too. It really makes a difference having the right tool for the job.

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#10]
The Brownells roll pin starters work fine, and are $11.41 delivered.

The ADCO roll pin starters are [i]$24 delivered.[/i]

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I also plan on picking up a book on how to put this thing together.
View Quote

Don't do that! Print and read this;
[url]ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/[/url]
View Quote

I'm assuming the rest of the gun is rather easy to put together ...
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#12]
The tools you need depend on how much of the gun you are actually building yourself.

I assembled the whole gun vs. buying a complete upper half. For that you need a vise block, and armorer's wrench.

For punches, I just went to Sears and got a Craftsman set for like $8. I even broke one and since it is Sears I went back and got a new one for free.

Basically all you need is a rubber mallet, punches, tape, perhaps emery cloth or a file, and some CLP. GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The tools you need depend on how much of the gun you are actually building yourself.

I assembled the whole gun vs. buying a complete upper half. For that you need a vise block, and armorer's wrench.

For punches, I just went to Sears and got a Craftsman set for like $8. I even broke one and since it is Sears I went back and got a new one for free.

Basically all you need is a rubber mallet, punches, tape, perhaps emery cloth or a file, and some CLP. GOOD LUCK!
View Quote

emery cloth and a file?  for what?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Depending on the quality of your lower parts kit you may need to file them or sand them.

I had to file the back of the trigger assembly down behind the disco spring to lower it enough to get the selector in.

And I had to sand down the selector end to fit into my receiver. Never modify the receiver if you can help it, unless it has burrs.

My parts were slightly out of spec so I made them fit. I bought a RRA kit for my latest AR and they fit perfectly with no filing or sanding.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#15]
got it!  I thought I might have missed something during my first assembly.  thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I assembled my lower with the clevis pin ($0.25), a regular old carpenter's hammer (found in toolbox) and a ten penny nail ($0.001, also found in toolbox). Works, and looks like any other factory assembled reciever.  

Oh, and use masking tape to cover areas that might get scrached when assembling the mag catch and bolt release.

Chris  

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Brownells roll pin starters work fine, and are $11.41 delivered.

The ADCO roll pin starters are [i]$24 delivered.[/i]
View Quote

Yes, Brownells starters are fine.
Their roll-pin punches SUCK.

Steve also has a package deal if you buy a whole set of tools.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top