Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2003 4:04:56 PM EDT
I am not interested in convertability to full-auto.  I just want to know what you think of each different make.  I am only interested in pre-ban.  What are the pluses and what are the minus's?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody anymore.

I like Colts and the old Eagle Arms.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:46:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you are a class 2 Manufacturer you can't convert to full auto thanks to the 1986 ban on making machine guns...that's why M16's are so damn expensive..Or you could get a RDIAS. As for the best Pre ban lower maker..I don't think any one is better than the other...some people like Colts...but...they seem to be more expensive...I dunno why...Colt Makes a nice product, but seems like you just buying a name...? I've gone with Bushy, SGW, Eagle arms or DPMS...and have had wonderful experiences..Hope this helps..
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:20:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Of the ones I still have, my PWA has the best tangible quality.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:13:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Nobody makes only made. Of the made ones Eagle Arms, Bushmaster, and PWA were the best in my mind.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:21:49 AM EDT
[#5]
how much does M16 cost in U.S.? and AR15?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
how much does M16 cost in U.S.? and AR15?
View Quote

Full auto M16's that are transferrable for private citizens range from $8000 or so for a conversion up to nearly $20k for a NIB M16A2.

AR15's range from $600 for a cheap new rifle to over $1000 for a pre-ban Colt.

Prices on pre-ban AR15's are falling, and prices on any M16 are rapidly increasing.

Edited to add: Frens - I like your sig line! Italy is a friend to the US and I for one thank your country for helping us in recent conflicts.

Also, you guys have the best food by far!!!  Welcome aboard..
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Edited to add: Frens - I like your sig line! Italy is a friend to the US and I for one thank your country for helping us in recent conflicts.

Also, you guys have the best food by far!!!  Welcome aboard..
View Quote

thank you very much! I think the whole world should thank US for what your country is doing for us! (sorry my bad english)

I agree with Colt_sporter: M16s are so damn expensive! But you are lucky because in Italy we can't buy full auto weapons, and AR15 are too expensive! I bought a Colt Match Target Hbar (MT6601) 2 yrs ago and I paid it about 1700€!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:56:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nobody anymore.

I like Colts and the old Eagle Arms.
View Quote

I'll second that, and PWA is pretty nice too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I have to agree with what others have said already -

Eagle Arms were always good - very few problems.

I probably had the most problems with Olympic Arms - especially when it came to the rear takedown pin hole and tight magazine wells.

By far the most trouble-free lowers I ever used were PWA - I swear you could just throw it into a bag with all the parts, pins, and springs, shake it up, and dump out a fully assembled, perfectly functioning lower every time.

One brand that seems to be overlooked here is Essential Accessories Co.  Back before there were any bans to worry about it was fashionable to turn your nose up at the slightly cheaper, cast EA Co. lowers in favor of a forged Eagle or Olympic.  The only problem with this is EA Co. actually built some exceptionally good receivers.  I don't think I ever had a problem with an EA Co. lower, and never had one fail or need any fitting whatsoever.  But there were times in the 1980's that you almost couldn't give them away, and EA Co. went out of business.  I wish now that back then I would've sold my truck and bought 100 of them.  If you see a good deal on an EA Co. lower, don't be afraid and just snap it up!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#10]
E.A. did make a good cast receiver. I'm real happy with mine. And it was dirt cheap back then.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I give another nod to PWA
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#12]
As with the guys above, I also vote for PWA with Bushmaster close behind.  I have built more than 15 rifles in the last 16 years on PWA lowers with not one fit-up problem.  Too bad they are out of business.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top