Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2003 8:19:19 PM EDT
Im a newbie and wanted to change the handguard to a full floating guard, is there a link that anyone could give me for the full job from start to finish?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:40:38 AM EDT
[#1]
i don't have a link, yet.  I just finished taking off a FF tube last night and took pictures intending to put a guide together.  Its no big deal.  For mine, which used a nut and a one piece tube going on a preban barrel i did the following.

took off the old HG
took off the Flash supressor
removed the gas tube pin from front sight
removed the taper pins from front sight
slid front sight off of barrel
remove gas tube
using a GI combo wrench removed the barrel nut
replaced the barrel nut with the HG nut provided and torque'd per TM
screwed FF HG onto barrel nut using supplied collar to index it properly (used a strap wrench and took some trial and error)
replaced gas tube and slide front sight backonto barrel and gas tube
pinned gas tube
pinned front sight using new taper pins
reinstalled FS
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Curt's summary is correct.  Keep in mind that the procedure is slightly different with each manufacturers design.  There are 1, 2, & 3 piece designs that have slightly different detailed procedures.  Check with your selected supplier for specific instructions before you buy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, a "C" model ARMS S.I.R. is much easier  and quicker......., just incase you were un-aware. The barrel will still be free-floated, too.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#4]
so is a KAC RAS II (probably all of the RAS models).  WIth the RAS 2 you  basically just remove the old HG and replace them with the RAS II wilst tightening up a couple of allen bolts.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the replys, Its a two piece v- match from oly.arms.Is there anything i need to do besides removing the parts and re-install them? anything to watch out for? Thanks to all that replyed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I am going to finish installation a FF handguard next week hopefully when my tools arrive.  This is the link to the thread discussion I started on it:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=175681[/url]

Not installing the same brand of handguard as you, but it may be of some help, hopefully.  I will update it when I get the job done with any issues I run into.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top