Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2003 6:13:15 AM EDT
Hi, I have this project half done i'm building from all dpms parts.
so far i've gotten a forged dpms lower, DPMS logo A2 buttstock, 2 stage trigger, dpms target grip with palm rest.

now my glitch, choosing a dpms complete upper or try building the upper myself...
I have never put a barrel in an upper, i'm sure if I had the tools and helpfull directions I could do it but.. i am trying to do this without spending more than ive got in my budget for the upper. i have $400 now but can stretch to $500-$600 in 3 months but wont be able to sit for a week after the GF is done with me for spending that much.
ok what I want is a dpms 24" bull barrel with dpms vented full length free float hand guard
and dpms LO-PRO upper. this is were I need help
because this configuration I would have to build, it would cost +or-$600 and i'm not sure of what upper to go with.. A3,LO-PRO or Hi-Rider.. also choosing a twist rate of 1x8 or 1x9. I shoot from 100-300 yards for accuracy. i'm looking to get hole in hole shots and unsure if for my shooting distances wwhich twist to go with to get the best from the rifle.
I like the Lo-Pro for the snag free design but wondering about unseen issues like scope mounting being any kind of problem, maybe better to go with a Hi-Rider? these are things i need advise on why one or the other might be better. I planed on buying the Lo-Pro 24" upper barrel assembly FTBL-LP24 for $405 from midwayusa.com but it's out of stock 30-60 day back order and I could not find anyone else that even carries it or can get it for less than $500.
some info on the rifles use: it's going to be strictly a competition target rifle from ranges 100-300yards and seldomly out to 600 yards. I don't hunt at all. this will be the 2nd AR ive built, I own 3. all DPMS rifles. panther .22lr a
16"CAR I built with a complete A2 upper I put the lower together. so thats my experiance with AR's.
thanks much for any help and advise on this project.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top