Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2003 4:20:43 PM EDT

Just thought I'd share, I'm real proud of how it came out.  Palmetto Parkerizing stuff is great, dark black, no probs.

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
very nice, great job on the finish. How did you do it? (mill&jig or free hand)
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:30:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I used a Harbor freight mini-mill to do the work.

The finish is palmetto industries parkerizing, whihc came out a deep black.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool!!!!!!!!!  Great job.

Someday I might start off with one of KT's frames, but I need to get cracking on my 80% 1911 casting.  Ordered a bunch of parts for it yesterday after realizing there was not a good cheap way to build one.

Got a ton of other projects ahead of it, like  a 225 Winchester based AR , a M48BO based 22-250, a M1917 based 30 Newton, a 256 Newton on a doubleheatreated Springfield, rebarreling a Styer Hahn (the Krauts ruined a good 9mm styer with a 9mm para reamer), assorted AR forgings and castings, fixing a Turk.....

[:(] and the next time I will be home for more than a day and a half is in February some time.  Even then I have to do other work instead of fun and games.

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got a ton of other projects ahead of it..... rebarreling a Styer Hahn (the Krauts ruined a good 9mm styer with a 9mm para reamer)
View Quote

Couldn't you just ream the 9x19 para barrel for 9mm Steyr?  9mm Steyr is what? 9x22.5 or so.  Maybe you could use a 9x23 Largo/Winchester reamer & use use 9x23 Largo ammo/handloads (not! 9x23 Winchester ammo though).  Much easier to find brass & loaded ammo.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Gettin' off track a little...

The Styer round is a straightish cased round pretty much like the 38 Super, bout as long.

The Germans, when they took over these Austrian guns, converted them to 9mm para by reaming out a cone to fit the 9mm para round, and stamping the frame "08".  I THINK it was them who beveled out the chamber to give little support to the rear 3/8 of the case.  Fired factory 9mm cases swell to unbeleivable proportions.  The cases look 9 months pregnant.  Gave a couple cases to someone who teaches reloading on condition she does not say where she got them.

I started loading this pistol with cut down 9mm magnum brass.  It has an integral magazine like the Broomhandle Mauser, slickest mag I've tried.  It feeds anything well, like the Astra 400.

It is a bit of lathe/mill work to make this rotating barrel, and I was going to chamber it in 9 x 23.  Pretty close dimensionally to the 9mm Styer. EDIT:  I have seveal 9mm Largo pistols, and I used 9x23 brass for them before I got starline brass.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used a Harbor freight mini-mill to do the work.

The finish is palmetto industries parkerizing, whihc came out a deep black.
View Quote

Really??? I looked at one, I thought they were cheap looking.

Do they work okay? Is it worth $500 bucks?

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gettin' off track a little...
View Quote

Arrrr![img]http://suicidegirls.com/media/site/emoticons/pirate.gif[/img] arrr! [;D]

The Styer round is a straightish cased round pretty much like the 38 Super, bout as long.

The Germans, when they took over these Austrian guns, converted them to 9mm para by reaming out a cone to fit the 9mm para round, and stamping the frame "08".  I THINK it was them who beveled out the chamber to give little support to the rear 3/8 of the case.  Fired factory 9mm cases swell to unbeleivable proportions.  The cases look 9 months pregnant.  Gave a couple cases to someone who teaches reloading on condition she does not say where she got them.
View Quote

Sounds like a real 'bubba' job.  Standards get lowered.....I've read of M1895 Nagant revolvers that have been reamed for 7.62x25 Tokarev!!  [grenade]  No thanks!  I like all my fingers.....

I started loading this pistol with cut down 9mm magnum brass.  It has an integral magazine like the Broomhandle Mauser, slickest mag I've tried.  It feeds anything well, like the Astra 400.

It is a bit of lathe/mill work to make this rotating barrel, and I was going to chamber it in 9 x 23.  Pretty close dimensionally to the 9mm Styer. EDIT:  I have seveal 9mm Largo pistols, and I used 9x23 brass for them before I got starline brass.
View Quote

Haven't got a 9mm Largo pistol though I do have a 9MM Largo barrel for my Cz52.  Makarov.com had a few 9x19 barrels reamed for the Largo & it feeds much better than the 9x19.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#9]
What is palmetto parkerizing, where can it be ordered from, and how is it applied?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:35:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is palmetto parkerizing, where can it be ordered from, and how is it applied?
View Quote

Find info here:

[url]http://www.blindhogg.com/parkerizing.html[/url]

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top