Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2003 11:24:50 PM EDT
Anyone have the Bushmaster Two Stage Competition Trigger?  I'm thinking of getting one and wondered if anyone has any opinions/Experiences?

Thanks,
BoB
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope not, it's a POS.  If you are on a budget, get the RRA match trigger.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#2]
On another board, people recommended the Armalite or RRA match triggers.  Are those better?  I've searched and read of the RRA losing its second stage after a while.

Thanks,
BoB
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 of the Bushmaster two stages installed.  One came with my Varminter and the second I installed myself before I acquired the Varminter.  

My Uncle has the RRA installed in his AR10, my Dad has a JP installed in his Bushmaster.  I personally prefer the Bushmaster 2 stage over both of those.

I've "heard" the RRA can fail...I've mostly "heard" good things on the JP although getting it in and tuned is somewhat "involving".

I have been using my Bushmaster 2 stage for about a year and must say I'm perfectly happy with its drop-in performance. They have simple adjustments and haven't needed any tweaking since I installed istalled/purchased them.  

I would recommend the BM 2 stage until I experience or research otherwise. I'm open to horror stories...

By AK_Mike: I hope not, it's a POS.
View Quote
Not trying to argue with you AK-Mike, would you advise what's the reason for your dislike of the BM 2 Stage? What happened?

Sly
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I should have mentioned the use.  I will be putting this into my Bushmaster M4gery.  This is not my go-to firearm (I reserve my SIG P226 for that), rather it's the gun I take to the local indoor range.  I do this due to its compactness and the fact that they'll let me shoot it there.

Anyhow, my SIG has a beautiful 2-stage trigger and I want to replicate a similar feel on my AR.  I shoot about 500rds a year through the gun in about 5 sessions of 100rds.  The shooting is just for fun target shooting.

That said, does this change any recommendations?

BoB
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not trying to argue with you AK-Mike, would you advise what's the reason for your dislike of the BM 2 Stage? What happened?

Sly
View Quote

No problem, that was a completely biased opinion.  I have read many comparisons of the Bushy trigger compared to other match triggers and it did not fare well.  I am already biased because I use KAC match triggers and no others I have experienced beat it much less come close, though a few are really good.

If it works for your, that's great.  Perhaps I am confusing them with the Compass Lake triggers (infamous old design)?  I do have the RRA and the Armalite NM triggers, and my KAC's put them to shame, but you have to look at the difference in price to quickly understand you are getting what you are paying for.  I'll let some others chime in.  Take my own opinion with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
How do you think the KAC compares to, say, a Jewell?  Is there a link for the KAC?  Do you think it would be overkill for my use?

Sorry to ask so many questions...I just don't have the time to be trying every trigger in the world.  I'd like to learn from others' experiences.

Thanks again,
BoB
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Well again, I'm pretty biased, I'll take the KAC over the Jewel.  However, the Jewel is a mighty fine unit, and available in large pin which the KAC is not.  The KAC is $270 or more depending on where you get them, I got mine from [url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=134&t=141322]MSTN[/url].  You should do a thread search on triggers, opinions abound.  You may even consider a single stage like the JP or Accuracy Speaks job.  It's a rich subject.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm, caught another trigger thread of yours, someone else chimed in thinking pretty badly of the Bushy trigger.  However I forgot to add - yes, from what you described about the use of it on your M4gery, the KAC and Jewel are overkills methinks - I would get a John Hollinger tuned RRA trigger, or a nice single stage trigger which would be more "fun".  The JH tuned trigger is only another $10 - sorry, got to do a thread search to get a link for his triggers I can't find my reference.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got one, my opinion is "its nice, but its nothing special"

Tune up a single stage trigger and save your $, or go for something better (RRA if you're on a budget)

-FOTBR
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#10]
By Bob-O : Sorry to ask so many questions...I just don't have the time to be trying every trigger in the world. I'd like to learn from others' experiences.
View Quote

Not a problem it's what the boards are for.  Are we helping you yet?  I think it's best for you to clarify if you are looking for something that is a "Step up" or something "really slick".  If I had only known about these boards earlier...I may very well have made a different choice in my set-up.  But I've been learning (A bit expensively, so far not too bad)  You've made the right decision asking for help here.  But ask yourself what EXACTLY you are looking for.  Once you've answered yourself the choices should be narrowed and it'll make all the difference in the world concerning your final decision.

Anyhow, my SIG has a beautiful 2-stage trigger and I want to replicate a similar feel on my AR. I shoot about 500rds a year through the gun in about 5 sessions of 100rds. The shooting is just for fun target shooting.

That said, does this change any recommendations?
View Quote

I'm assuming that your SIG has a standard trigger?  If so, and you want to replicate it, it might be worth a try to just install a set of JP Reduced power springs only.  This set runs about $10 and certainly is an "upgrade" from the standard mush that most/all ARs come from the factory with.  It is simple and may be the remedy you're looking for. Unless your requirements are in fact a "Match" or "Competition" grade set up.

As far as the Jewell, I have shot  my buddy's Colt w/ bull barrel in which he had installed the Jewell.  It was mighty slick and spooky light.  His set up was the first rifle I've ever fired where, due to light/almost non-existent recoil, quality scope, and a good rest- I was able to see the holes being punched in the paper down range.  Usually When I fire a rifle, the recoil moves the scope and I have to re-align my eye to get the target back in view.  It was a slick set-up but once again, this buddy said it was a bear to install and tune but once it was set up he was very pleased.
By AK_Mike: No problem, that was a completely biased opinion. I have read many comparisons of the Bushy trigger compared to other match triggers and it did not fare well.
View Quote

Definitely not a problem, without opinions where would a board like this be?  I try to limit my input to those things that I have tried but I'm sure I've flung out an opinion or two on these boards somewhere... I think one of the differences may also be that I wasn't looking for a "Competition Trigger" so much as I was just looking for something better than the standard, which the BM 2 stage certainly covers and is IMO more like a modest leap from he standard.   As far as long range and precision, hell I don't mind having a gut-shot coyote run over the hill, it works for me just the same.  

My form of competition is USPSA 3-gun and so I wanted something simple and a step up. The BM 2 stage filled that gap and I do believe a drunken monkey can install one.  But If I had it to do all over again...I would have just went with the JP RP springs.  It was definitely more of what I was looking for, not the best end all solution but just a step in the right direction. And so, I have one of my lowers with only the JP springs installed.   A "Match" or "Competition" trigger is more like a leap forward , and I have found there  is no going back!

By AK_Mike: If it works for your, that's great. Perhaps I am confusing them with the Compass Lake triggers (infamous old design)?
View Quote

I've heard of Compass Lake...Another one of my USPSA buddies has a V-match that he purchased and he said it was a "Compass Lake" trigger in his rifle.  He said he has lost the second stage and wanted me to come over and look at it. The way he described it sounded exactly like my BM 2 stage which was purchased within the last year.  We haven't been able to hook up yet but I'm interested to see what we'll find.

Sly
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top