Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2003 1:41:34 PM EDT
I put an RRA upper on a Eagle lower and it seams to have a lot of moovement between them.
Is this norme for this and is there any thing I can do for it ?  Thanks    Gator
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought this was another BOTD thread!

try an accu-wedge.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a parts kit once that the pivot and takedown pins were undersize and caused a poor fit between my EA lower and RRA upper.

New pins from Tommy at GA. Precision and all is well.

YMMV

Danny
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you get just the pins ? The ones in there now have the groove in them and will not come all the way out. Are the others the same you picked up ?  Thanks.        Gator.

O yea I forgot to add. I tryed an accu-wedge and the table under the pin sits too high the pin hits the wedge about in the middle so it wont go in.  [rolleyes]   [shock]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, you can just get the pins. The new ones were closer to spec 0.248 than the ones I removed at 0.241.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn't the accuwedge intended to be compressed by the upper allowing the pin to push through?  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll put it back in and try it again. But the last time I tryed it I would have to squeeze it down to half it's thickness and might not get it back out.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]
You must have a high shelf in your receiver.  I've heard some guys here cut the Accu wedge to make it work in "High Shelf" receivers.  Come to think of it my eagle is that way but I don't have excess play so I've never tried cutting the Wedge down.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#8]
If it's the holes that are too large, Armalite sells some oversized National Match takedown pins that eliminate a lot of slop. I sanded mine down a bit for a tight (but usable) fit between my receivers.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Just slip a 1/16" or 3/32" cross-section o-ring over the front pivot pin lug before installing the upper on the lower.  Close the upper and slide in the rear takedown pin.  Instant "no slop" and cheap.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like some of the issues with this are a result of undersized pins.  Can someone recommend a parts kit (DPMS, RRA, J&T, etc.) that seems to have the correct diameter pins to eliminate this issue?  I have an Eagle lower and an RRA upper on the way, and I would like to make sure whatever lower parts kit I get has the correct size pins.  I have seen RRA, DPMS, and the parts kits from J&T for all about the same price.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#11]
My experience with AR's indicates that most of the pins are not "undersize" as the result of "bad" quality.  It's done that way on purpose to facilitate interchangability of parts resulting from tolerance stackup.  If you get a "good" fit right out of the box consider yourself lucky.  Actually, you are probably unlucky because a tight fit means something is on the extreme of one or more dimensions.

To achieve tight fitting uppers/lowers/takedown pins you usually need to purposely build it that way with oversized pins, precision bushings in the upper receiver lugs, match reaming the parts, etc.  The other approach is to use bandaids such as expanding takedown pins, accuwedges, o-rings on the pivot pin lug, etc.

Most folks just live with the play between the upper & lower.  It's a fact of life!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top