Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 10:27:27 AM EDT
Colt stakes their stocks in place. Does anyone have a good method of removing them? I've got the wrench & a mag block but it doesn't feel safe, too much force required. Anyone know if there is a clamping block made for the buffer tube?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
good luck

The preban I had (it was stolen[>(]) had the buffer tube on so tight that when I finnaly got it off it was bent 20 degrees.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll need to drill out the stake or you will destroy the tube. Just need to lightly hit it with a drill/drill press/dremel tool to break the stake and then it will unscrew with the proper wrench.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a dremel tool with a thin cut off disc.  Keep in mind that you dont need to remove much metal to get rid of the staked in portion.  The dremel allows me to remove metal on one of the parts only instead of damaging both parts involved in the staked area.  Although you can reuse the damaged part, I usual replace it for looks.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, I never had those problems.  I had two Colt's I removed the carbine stock from.  I used the proper wrench (mine is a hook head with one tooth and has a socket for a breaker bar) and a mag vise block - NO PROBLEMS.  It didn't take much effort.  The stake material just peeled away, no problem.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top