Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2003 4:58:31 PM EDT
WHEN the AW-ban expires next year, I will be installing a flash supressor. My barrel has an 11 degree target crown on it now. Will I have to have the barrel recrowned, or just thread it and go? Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:27:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Even when using a live end on the lathe, you still get some sideways distortion from endplay pressure (even with a spider) that can mar the bore to crown edge.

Best to turn the barrel and make the threads, then pull the live end, and change out to a drill end and re-crown the muzzle with a brass taper (using lapping compound, turned slow). This will give you a chatter free crown to bore edge.

P.S. Remember to center out on the barrel bore, and not the outer barrel surface.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top