Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/17/2003 8:30:03 PM EDT
Well, it took way more time then I wanted to spend but I finally managed to go through the literaly 300+ photos I had taken when I did this project and tried to pull the best photos for a webpage that shows how I built my Post-Ban AR-15 pistol.  I do wish the photos had come out better but the lighting just wan't great!

This pistol is a bolt action as there is no gas tube and it is curently cycled via the charging handle.  After I shoot this upper for some time, I will mill the left side of the upper receiver for a bolt handle which will be attached to the M-16 carrier via a hole that will be drilled and tapped into the carrier.  YES, I am using a M-16 carrier with this project.

Why did I build this, well I always wanted an AR-15 pistol and prices on pre-ban AR-15 pistols climbed faster then I could save for.  Also, here in PA I can hunt with a pistol, but we can not use a semi-auto of any sort to hunt big game.  This 300 Whisper clone will be a capable deer hunting pistol and I hope to give her a try this year if I can...

Finally, I will be adding text to the webpage as time allows and I will work on making some of the pics thumbnails as I know this webpage is HUGE as it is...  Still, it shows how to build a stripped lower, an upper from parts, plus the fact that this is a pistol making it quite a collection for anybody that has never tried to build one...

quarterbore.com/ar15m16/postbanar15pistol.htm

Here is the finished pistol:

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:55:54 AM EDT
[#1]
You do know that pistol has to have a registered pistol lower and has to be under 50 ounces to be legal right?

With the XM15E2S markings I would guess it's not a pistol lower. That pistol has to weigh over 50 ounces because the OA-98 pistol with aluminum receivers weighs 48 ounces, and thats with all the holes in the receiver.

[img]http://www.olyarms.com/imgs/oa98thm.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:33:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You do know that pistol has to have a registered pistol lower and has to be under 50 ounces to be legal right?

View Quote

You are NOT correct!  This lower was manufactured from a stripped AR-15 lower and it was purchased directly from Bushmaster by my FFL and transfered to me on my Federal and State Forms as a PISTOL RECEIVER.  Therefore, this is a pistol receiver as long as it was built as a pistol first... which it was!

Now, the regulations you are trying to describe are the crime bill.  Please see...

[url]http://ar15.com/content/legal/preORpost.html[/url]

and

[url]http://quarterbore.com/nfa/sbr-aow-pistol.html[/url]

You will note that the crime bill defines a Pistol to be a Semi Automatic Assault weapon as being...

A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following features: [list=1][*]an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip.  [/*]
[*]a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer. [/*]
[*]a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned. [/*]
[*]a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded.  [/*]
[*]a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.  [/*]
[/list=1]

So, when you realize that this IS a PISTOL but it IS NOT a semiautomatic pistol, then the Crime Bill DOES NOT APPLY!  If the crime bill dies, I can convert this to semi-auto to a Pre-Ban style semiauto pistol by adding a new upper and I will still be 100% LEGAL.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:47:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Ah, I dident see that you have no gas block on it. skiming over it, I thought you just left the gas tube out.

Then the problem is, without the 50 ounce clause at what point dose it become a SBR?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#4]
If someone was to take an AR-15 lower that was previously built with a stock on it and tried to assemble the weapon as shown above, YES this would be a Short barreled rifle!

The lower in this project is papered as a pistol on my Federal and state forms and it was transfered the same as though I had bought a Glock pistol.

This is just like a Remington XP-100 bolt action pistol....  or you could compare it to a T/C Contender or Encore...
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice jog quarterbore!

Yes, you have done it 100% legal and dont have to worry about the AW ban as stated because it is not a semi-auto.

Legally, now that it has been built as a pistol you could change uppers and put a buttstock on it to be a rifle (over 16" unless you want to register it as a SBR), then you could switch back and forth between pistol status and rifle just like a Thompson Contender with a carbine kit.

Are you using it this dear season? In PA are you still prohibited from using a semi-auto for small game like woodchucks?

Jeff
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet looking and the best part is you have a good use for it. Like the perfect woman good looking and useful.

Good hunting [beer]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Dangit!  Another project to add to my list.

Nice job though, can't wait until you get some text to go wtih the pictures to explain stuff to people who aren't completely comfortable with AR parts.

Also let us know when you get it out in the field for a test.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Are you using it this dear season? In PA are you still prohibited from using a semi-auto for small game like woodchucks?

Jeff
View Quote

If I can find the money to order the dies and the time to work up some loads I sure plan to make a go at it.  In answer to your second question, yes we are not allowed to use any semi-auto rifles or pistols.  We can use semi-auto shotguns for small game...

Quoted:

Also let us know when (if) you get the 300 whisper version finished and how it does.
View Quote

This is a 300 Whisper (300/221)...  I just need a pistol scope and some brass and dies as I have a ton of everything else....
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I was an idiot, didn't read thing all the way, and changed my post after I realized my mistake [:D]

Anyway, do tell us how it works out when you get some use out of it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I must say again, "SWEET"!

I'm tinkering on getting a lower papered pistol and then using the Model 1 7.62x29 'pistol kit'.  Modified to be bolt action of coarse (removal of gas tube and tapping/plugging of hole in front sight).

May I ask who sold you the stripped lower?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

May I ask who sold you the stripped lower?
View Quote

Just my local gunshop....  I stopped in and explained what I needed to do and how I needed to do it and they took care of ordering a new stripped lower directly from Bushmaster and then sold it to me as a sistol receiver....  If they were not willing to do so, I had at least 100-other shops in the state and I would have just looked for somebody else...

Note, I also have a pair of AKM (AK-47) receivers that were purchased and transfered as pistols in case I decide to krinkize a couple of my PMKMS Parks kits but I am waiting on the crime bill before I do anything with these as the AK is much harder to replace a barrel or changes of that type...
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quarterbore

I have a question.

Suppose I were to build an ar15 with all the evil features. I must block the gas port to make it bolt action obviously. How little can I do to make this a non semi in the eyes of the law? "How little can I do?" Example below:

Can I take the front of a gas tube, cut it to three inches, and then fill it (the gas tube stubb) with JB weld and stick it in the front sight? Would this be good enough to be made bolt action legal?

I ask this because, once the ban sunsets, it would be VERY easy to just pull out the gas tube stubb filled with JB weld and put in a new gas tube to make the rifle semi-auto. This way I could just buy all the stuff now and avoid the rush, and replace the tube when the ban sunsets.

Any thoughts?

BTW I LOVE your website, and this project you just did is kick ass. Good Job.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, let's look at what the law says...  It says you can't have a semi auto with detachable magazines and 2 or more evil features.  So, what is a semi-auto...  A rifle that fires by only pulling the trigger right?

So personally, and I only pretend to understand the law so do so at your own risks, but what you describe sounds like a non semiauto to me!

Now, I did just what you describe for a 22LR project a few years back except I simply tapped the hole for the gas tube in the gas block and used a set screw.  When removed, the set screw could be replaced with a gas tube and the upper functioned fine.

Now, obviously this applies to both rifles and pistols but I would just be consious about bragging too loud if you go that way.  Also, here in PA as far as the game commision is concerned the upper must be perminantly made non-Semi hence the reason I went with the custom barrel.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup...who knows what is lurking in the minds of the Technical branch of the BATF.

Disabling an upper by a set screw maybe allowed (I would use red locktight to make sure).  The best method is having a barrel that does not even have a gas hole in it at all.  But, in all reality, what would prevent someone from having a second upper that is not disabled.  The lower is "semi auto" capable.... the BATF could (that's could) view the lower as being semi auto capable (since it has a buffer tube, spring and buffer.)  I guess that's the "fun" of the AR... modularity
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top