Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 12:16:47 PM EDT
First time out with the Model "1" Lightweight was quite disappointing.  I put up a piece of the big shipping paper (about 3' x 4.5') and stapled a target to that.  Fired three shots at the center - none even on the big sheet.  Tried shooting top, bottom, left side, and right side of the paper - still no holes.  Checked the next backer to the left, about 4' from the center of my target are a few .22 sized holes.  D'oh!!!  Naturally there isn't enough adjustment in the ARMS sight to compensate for this.

I suppose it is possible that I somehow mounted the ARMS #40 wrong.  There were no instructions with the thing, and I didn't check the board for suggestions.  It is mounted all the way back, and the slotted nut was tight.

I know it's not me, because I tried a few shots through a Mosin Nagant, and they all hit the black at least.

It's probably a problem with the upper isn't it?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure sounds like a problem with the upper.  From info gathered here, it could be the front sight base is canted, but that would be some major cant.  

I'd contact Model 1 and let them know about it.  You may have to adjust a rear sight, but never 4 feet (not that you can).

What distance were you shooting at?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What distance were you shooting at?
View Quote

Yeah, that would help.  100 yards, and wind was not more than 15 mph.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Take the same size paper and start at 25yds. I also mounted a #40 on a 16" Model 1 upper and couldn't hit paper at 50 yds. Sighted in at 25yds and then moved back further...end of problem with hitting the paper. At 25 yds I was about 12" high before making any adjustments.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Just checking, but, have you tried zeroing it with standard iron sights first to establish a baseline?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't have standard iron sights, and the highpower range is 100 yards only.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you bore sight it?

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Try printing on paper first at the 25yd line like cigna63 suggested before moving back to the 100 yd line, this will probably solve your problem. If you want to get in the ballpark without firing a shot you can seperate the upper/lower receivers and remove the bolt. Place the upper receiver on a flat surface and locate an object (approx. 100 yds away) where a vertical and horizontal line intersect(corners of square objects are good for this), align the barrel so when you look down the bore from the chamber end it is centered in the bore. Without disturbing the lay of the upper, look through your sights and see if the object is centered on your sights, if not, adjust your sights to do so. I do this when barreling receivers for initional sight settings prior to zeroing and to check for excessive windage problems.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top