Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/8/2003 8:15:33 PM EDT
I'm looking at buying a couple of lower receiver parts kits in the future and I'm curious if anyone has any experience with those available from DPMS.

I built my first AR using RRA parts and everything turned out fine.  My only reason to possibly change brands is saving some money - not a huge amount, but I always figure whatever I can save can be spent on other fun things.

I'm curious if the fire control parts are an item that is manufactured by one or two companies and everyone else re-sells them while calling them their own, or if there are substantial differences in quality, particularly between these two companies?
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have built 2 AR's with DPMS lower parts and I was/am very impressed with them.They're not cheap stamped parts like you get from those companies that sell parts guns.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I got my from CMMG and everything was great.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:56:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I've purchased 2 DPMS LPKs from CMMG and both went together without a hitch and have functioned fine since then.  The triggers feel nicer than my Colt's!
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#4]
i have had good results the last 4-5 builds that i have done. they have high quality parts and the fit is outstanding. [url=http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5606&title=AR-15+PARTS+KITS&s=13040#13040]LOWER RECEIVER PARTS KIT[/url]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I hate to be odd man out here, but I bought a DPMS complete lower recently and found the bolt hold open completely out of spec (and full of crap that hung it up, as well) and the mag release button, while functional, was so non AR in appearance, that I couldn't stand to look at it. Replacing those two parts wasn't a big deal, but I'll not buy another DPMS product. More recently, bought a Rock River lower assy.  Everything was perfect, and it was significantly less expensive than the DPMS.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone else found DPMS lower parts to be out of spec. or "non-AR" in appearance?  I am looking at buying a DPMS lower parts kit, but am hesitant if it's not going to be standard AR parts.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Has anyone else found DPMS lower parts to be out of spec. or "non-AR" in appearance?  I am looking at buying a DPMS lower parts kit, but am hesitant if it's not going to be standard AR parts.
View Quote

Have used two DPMS kits. First kit was fine, second out of spec.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe I'll just got with a Rock River arms lower kit.  I see those for the same prices as DPMS, and I haven't heard anything negative about RRA.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#9]
After putting 2 ARs lower together one using DPMS and one RRA lower parts, both on Eagle Arms receiver.  My vote goes toward RRA.  

I had a difficult time puting the winter trigger swivel pin on the DPMS, in fact I had to beat it in and I manage to marr the receiver.  Pay a little more and get the RRA.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
You are going to pay the same for either kit (roughly) so go with whatever works. I know that I had a kit from Model 1 and the hammer was out of spec. So i replaced it with a hammer from DPMS. It worked for a little while then the J spring came out of it somehow and binded the hammer up in the receiver. I finally said the hell with it and ordered a few parts from Bushmaster.

I just ordered a RRA kit from ADCO for my latest build, i assume it will be nice and in spec.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had fit problems with the DPMS on a Bushie lower.  I ended up using a Bushie parts kit and all went fine.  I typically buy Rock River parts kit and I am about 5x happy without the slightest glitch on this hardware.

-Dan
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#13]

I hate to be odd man out here, but I bought a DPMS complete lower recently and found the bolt hold open completely out of spec (and full of crap that hung it up, as well) and the mag release button, while functional, was so non AR in appearance, that I couldn't stand to look at it. Replacing those two parts wasn't a big deal, but I'll not buy another DPMS product. More recently, bought a Rock River lower assy. Everything was perfect, and it was significantly less expensive than the DPMS.
View Quote

I don't know, just kind of guessing here but do you know for a fact that your lower was built using a DPMS parts kits?

I say that because it sounds like you bought it already built? That being the case, unless you bought it directly from DPMS, you don't really know what parts are in there do you? It would just seem to explain why you were so unhappy while other seem more than happy? Just a thought
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#14]
i've built 4 lowers up with dpms parts.  had one rear takedown pin that was ugly as sin.  trigger guard pins have always been a bitch for me to put in.  the rest was great.  i would buy one of their kits again.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top