Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2003 7:10:03 PM EDT
Who makes mid-length kits?  I have been looking around a lot, and think a mid-length kit is what I would like to build on my Eagle Arms lower.  However, it seems that everyone has CAR kits and E2 kits!  

And, while I'm on the subject, why aren't these more popular?  Seems that mid-length gives a nice compromise by keeping a 16" barrel while providing a longer sight radius (without the "stubby" look of a dissipator).  
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think that there is currently a midlength "kit" available, but you could just go with a RRA or Olympic midlength upper, parts kit, and stock.  That's what I'm doing.  RRA stripped lower, RRA lower parts kit, RRA "tactical" post-ban CAR stock, RRA chrome-lined Pre-ban to post-ban converted midlength A4 upper, and ARMS #40.  The price worked aout to be pretty close to what I personally was looking at with a kit.  Certainly a rifle could be built for less, but for what I wanted, this is how I went.

Hershey
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Rock River Arms and Armalite are the only two I know of.

Panz
[bounce]
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]www.m-aparts.com[/url] has midlength kits.

Here's a pic of mine, built on an Olympic Arms stripped lower:

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/p1d5bed077352e14c0733450f2683da3f/fb2ebfd2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
When did you get yours from Model 1?

I just got an e-mail from them today stating they do not have mid-length kits.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When did you get yours from Model 1?

I just got an e-mail from them today stating they do not have mid-length kits.
View Quote

I made a mistake, its [url]www.m-aparts.com[/url] that I got my parts kit from.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Can I ask a few questions about your M&A kit?

How much did it run you, and is the muzzle brake on the end (in the picture) the standard muzzle brake used by M&A?  If so, could you provide a close-up of it?

What kind of lower receiver did you use?

How satisfied were you with M&A, and how good was the kit (in terms of ease of assembly, quality, etc)?

What kind of accuracy do you see from your M&A?
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can I ask a few questions about your M&A kit?

How much did it run you, and is the muzzle brake on the end (in the picture) the standard muzzle brake used by M&A?  If so, could you provide a close-up of it?

What kind of lower receiver did you use?

How satisfied were you with M&A, and how good was the kit (in terms of ease of assembly, quality, etc)?

What kind of accuracy do you see from your M&A?
View Quote

1.According to the site it is $450. At the time they didn't have any more regular barrels so they "upgraded" it for free(to stainless steel).

2.The muzzle brake is a Cav Comp.  It was installed by VA-gunnut(who also ordered the kit and brake, and built the lower.)  I don't have a digital camera to take any pics.

3. I used an Olympic Arms stripped lower receiver.

4. I am very satisfied.  I didn't put the lower together myself, but VA-gunnut did not appear to have any trouble putting it together.  The quality is great.  It runs perfectly.  I gone throught about 1,000 round of ammo, mostly Wolf, without any gun related problems.

5.  I haven't really shot for accuracy, so I can't comment on your question.

VA-gunnut may be able to answer some of your questions if you contact him.

I hope I've been some help.

Junior_Gunnut
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Just finished 3rd kit, this one an M&A mid length. Went together very well, fit and finish are excellant. Had to file and polish/re-blue the hold open as it was a little tight, no big deal (DPMS lower). Extreemly happy with the rifle. It is a little nose heavy. Talked to the M&A guys at the Great Western Gun Show in Dallas Saturday. The barrel is a HB 16" (post ban) and I was inquiring about a light weight mid length. None planned. But, it is still a nice carbine. 2nd rifle was a M&A CAR kit on a Rock River. It is a sweet rifle also. The post ban muzzle thingy, which is not a brake but looks like one, adds to the look well. I figures I saves a couple hundred bucks and have a pair if fine rifles. No complaints at all.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#9]
DougW:

Any way you could post some close-up pics of your M&A kit?  Did you happen to get a muzzle brake from M&A as well?  If so, could you post pics of that?  Would be greatly appreciated.  

What kind of accuracy are you seeing out of your M&A midlength?  
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I can do the pics thing. Will take me a few days to get the pic host set up. No brake on the mid length. Went for the slick barrel. As far as accuracy, haven't been able to get to the range yet. Rain last weekend and forcasted this weekend here in Denton Texas will keep me away for another week. I know that is a wuss excuse though. This weekend is the last one for my son at home for a while, since he leaves Tuesday next for Ft. Jackson S.C. and the US ARMY. He's gonna play saxaphone for Uncle Sam, first duty at Scofield Barracks with the 25th (L) Inf. Div. Hmmmmmmmm, an 18 year old turned loose on Hawaii. Hmmmmmmmmm.........

Pics of both M&A's to follow.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for volunteering to post the pics.

By the way, good luck to your son.  18 year old on the loose in Hawaii?  Lucky him!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:30:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I also have a 16" m&a midlegnth kit and it has been fantastic. The finish between it and my RRA lower is almost identical. The only problem was that my parts kit was missing a spring, but they had one out to me by the end of the week.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/057082.JPG[/img]

with accessories
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/062892.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe I'm just missing it but I went to m&a's web site and didn't see any mention of a mid-length kit?

Can you guys give me the specs on the kits you're using, particularly the barrel being used? Fully chromed? (y/n?) 5.56 or .223 chamber? Twist rate?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#14]
airgunner-

when you go to their site go to carbine kits. then go to the botton of page and you should see arrows. click on the arrow to go to the next page.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page and the last two items are mid-length parts kits
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for posting the pic.

I still haven't been able to find a picture of the muzzle brake that M&A uses on their post-ban rifles.  Can anyone help me out with this?  

By the way, how is the lower parts kit with the M&A?  Any idea of who makes it?

Nice looking mid-length!  I still don't see why they aren't more popular.  Seems like the mid-length better utilizes the barrel length for sight radius.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
airgunner-

when you go to their site go to carbine kits. then go to the botton of page and you should see arrows. click on the arrow to go to the next page.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page and the last two items are mid-length parts kits
View Quote

Thanks, Found it! Shame I can't find one with a good 4150, chrome lined, NATO chambered, 1/7 twist, M4 feed ramps, forged site tower, post ban config (no brake). It would be really nice if said barrel was turned or fluted under the HG only but I guess I'm either dreaming or I'm too picky! [:(]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top