Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/6/2003 7:30:00 PM EDT
I am considering finshing out an 80% ar-15 receiver. Here is the reciver I am talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3636671415&category=36258

From what I understand this is supposed to be a shade tree armory receiver. My question is what is the best drilling jig on the market to use with this receiver? I was thinking about going with the Tannery Shop jig but I did not know if there was anything better available. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

TIA,
Kanan
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 4:47:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a OSI jig that you see on the Tannery Shop website.  It has been used on multiple lowers, and it is no worse for wear.

I'm not sure how the Shade Tree lowers will fit in the OSI jig.  I think the OSI jig was designed with the NOC castings in mind.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:05:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how the Shade Tree lowers will fit in the OSI jig.
View Quote

They fit excellently. I used the Tannery rent-a-jig to drill out a NOC (Tannery) casting and a Shade Tree forging. The NOC needed quite a bit of work (mill the top plane) to fit; the Shade Tree was a good snug fit with no work. The jig uses the mag release button hole to locate the lower.

The other jig you see on eBay also does a good job, but locates the lower differently. You need to machine the top plane and rear face (buffer area) to locate the lower in that jig.

Both work well.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok so basically go with the OSI jig from the Savy survivor page correct? I am looking for the most bang for the buck. so I am hoping to get this right the first time.

Thanks again,
Kanan
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#4]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:I am looking for the most bang for the buck.
View Quote

The OSI jig uses bushings; two sets - one set for the [undersize] drills, and one for the reamers. It should last a long time (hundreds?) of uses.

The aluminum jig uses drills only. I suppose over time, the holes will wear.

If someone offers you a setup to buy (coff, coff), go for it. You can always rent it out (or resell it) and get your money back...
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here is the reciver I am talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3636671415&category=36258

View Quote

BTW: That 80% lower sold for exactly the same price that Mr3rdman [the seller] sells them for off-eBay...And same S&H charge, too...

More dealers seem to be selling on eBay...I don't mind; if I don't get the sale, I ask if any more are available off-eBay...Bought several AR-15 accessories that way...

Good for them if they get more from the "auction"...  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top