Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2003 3:53:04 PM EDT
I took my AR apart today, every piece was cleaned oiled and put back. BUT....

I noticed that as I took the buttstock off there was no spacer, It's an A2 stock. I never took the buttstock apart since I purchased it from Bushy a few years ago. I've shot maybe 1000-1500 rounds through this lower so far with no issues. Is this ok, or just "a matter of time"

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Just a matter of time.

The spacer is used because the A-2 stock is longer than the A-1.  Both stocks use the same receiver extension (tube), but without the spacer for the A-2, there is a void between the butt stock end (butt plate), and the back of tube.  Over time, the butt stock will become loose, and as you tighten the screw up to tighten the stock back up, the screw will tear the plastic butt plate. When this happens, the screw will intrude into the back of the tube (limiting buffer rearward travel), which will cause the carrier to short stroke with the bolt not looking back after last shot.

P.S. The spacer may just be stuck in the back of the butt stock receiver extension channel, and the reason that you think the rifle is missing the part.  If all else fails, pull the butt plate and check it out.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I pulled the buttplate and there is no spaer anywhere to be found. I'll have to pick one up at a show or something.

thanks
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top