Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2003 5:39:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#1]
i was just thinking about punches like that yesterday. they would make life MUCH easier. i thought about drilling a small hole in the end of a couple extra punches i have.

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The only thing I could add to Denny's post is at step 4, the point you're checking alignment of the gas tube, I've found it easier to check for proper alignment by using just the bolt carrier, no bolt or charging handle.  

Insert the carrier into the upper, tip the upper slightly and if the gas tube is correctly aligned, the carrier will slide completely home under its own weight.  Any misalignment will stop the carrier.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i thought about drilling a small hole in the end of a couple extra punches i have.
View Quote

That's what I did when I worked for brand X. The hole needn't be deep or centered just somewhat concentric with the outside of the punch. I used a broken 1/16" pin punch (cheapies they supplied us with there) that I ground the end flat on. Chucked up in a vice on standard drill press (too much trouble to set up a mill or lathe) and drilled it.

The gas tube roll pin is the only one I feel the need to use it with. The rest start fine by hand or needle nose. The raised edges of the FSB always interfered with the needle nose before.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top