Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2003 2:33:41 PM EDT
I was helping a friend install a RRA lower parts kit in a stripped RRA lower a while back, and ran into an issue.

The selector simply would not fit into the hole in the receiver.  It was larger in diameter than the hole in either side of the lower.

The selector measured 0.375" and the hole was (IIRC) 0.370".  So was the selector too big, or the hole too small?

I did find a way to "make it fit" with a hammer, a 3/8" drill bit, and some polishing compound -- I didn't mar his lower *too* bad :^)

Just curious if anyone else had experienced this.  I've heard RRA lowers are "tight", but I see no reason why anyone would make them so tight that the selector won't go in, much less rotate.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the hole was missed in the reaming process, not a common occurance.

Too late now, but he should have returned the lower. By drilling the hole, you've removed the anodization and now have the steel of the safety rubbing against raw aluminum. If he uses it a lot, the hole will elongate over time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one of those RRA selector levers and yes, they are too big.  Mine wouldn't fit in two bushmasters and one RRA.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The spec calls for the selector hole to be .376-.377", so it is definately undersized. The selector is supposed to be no larger than .375", so your RRA selector is correct. It is the lower that was the problem.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top