Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2003 9:07:59 AM EDT
So, what's the deal with the .308 AR's?  Like the DPMS Long Range?  Do you need a special lower?  Or could I put an upper on the RRA 5.56 Lower I've already got.   Sorry for the stupid question, I'm still a newb.  

thanks,
Shawn    

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#1]
308 lowers such as on AR10s are definitely different than AR15 lowers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Wolffie,

For one, AFAIK, you couldn't fit a 308 magazine into the AR15 receiver.

Other than that, I think the receiver itself is longer so a standard Armalite/DPMS upper wouldn't allow the Fire Control Group to line up?  (This is just speculation on my part but I do know that everything is longer on my AR10 than My AR15s)

If I were at home right now, instead of being stuck at work with a hang-over, I would give them a comparison for you. I guess I've never given it much thought since it's just not do-able. (Unless you were talking about a single shot upper...Then you could go as large as 50 BMG)  

Sly

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,

It didn't seem to make sense that a .308 upper would fit a regular lower.  Like I said, huge newb!  Anyway, do you know of anyone who sells stripped .308 lowers?  (I haven't even finished my first build and here I am starting a second.  :) )  And would the lower parts be interchangeable?  
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you given any thought to the 7.62 x 39? Its the same caliber as the 308, but with the shorter case (AKA: ak-47 cartridge), which will fit on your 5.56 lower. You just need to buy the appropiate barrel and bolt (carrier is the same), swap barrels on your 5.56 upper receiver, and install on your lower.

Oh yes, and some mags.

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm...  That's not a bad idea?  How are the ballistics of the 7.62x39 compared to the .308?  So, I could just buy the DPMS barreled upper and  a specialized magazine?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#6]
you could also look into a 300 whisper upper.it uses the same mags and bolt as the .223.the only drayback is the ammo is alot more expensive than 7.62x39.i'm building one now i'll be trying it out on hogs and deer next month.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top