Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2003 7:58:16 PM EDT
OK....I've tried to remove the Flash hider on my Colt preban CAR but it wont budge.  

Did colt blind pin their FH on ?   I thought it was only held on by torque and locktite.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not aware of any blind pins.  You never know with Colt, though.  I assume you have the barrel death-clamped in a vise close to the flash suppressor?  Good.  Now its time to get barbaric.  

Put the barrel/upper in the freezer over night.  Then reclamp that barrel (close to the f/s to keep the barrel twist down.)  

Grab yourself a little map gas or propane torch.  Either one won't put out enough heat to damage anything.  Heat that f/s up from the outside, in the center, and as fast as possible.  This way you will keep the heat in the f/s. (But make sure you get the threads hot as well)  If the heat bleeds into the barrel you are defeating the purpose.

Make sure the wrench you're using is a tight fit around the f/s because now you've got to hate torque the thing off.

Make sure you have your work area ready to go so you have minimum idle time on the barrel.  FREEZE...HEAT...TWIST!

May the force be with you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:31:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The first time I removed the A2 hider on one of my preban Colts I thought they welded the damn thing on. It took a [b]lot[/b] of torque before it finally came off, but it did come off. They don't pin prebans, but I'd almost swear they use an 800 pound gorilla to put them on.

I just wasn't being medieval enough.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
OK...I know the concept....we use the hot/cold process on jet engine bearings etc.

One more question.....We are talking counter-clockwise (as looking down into the muzzle) to remove it....right ??

Just wanting to make sure  :-)
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep. Lefty loosey, righty tighty.

Had the same problem with the A1 flash suppressor on my SP1. Ended up leaving it as is.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, medieval.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top