Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2003 5:46:21 PM EDT
I just picked up a 20" lathe and medium size mill.  Where is a good place to buy bits.  I already know about Brownells.   Thanks Joe
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefers Travers [url]http://www.travers.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Lathe bits:  you will have very little need for anything but HSS.  I have a lot of carbide bits and inserts I don't use, unless I get into very hard steels.  

Gotta learn how to grind them and polish them.  Get a bunch of HSS bits as once you grind a good shape, you will want to touch it up instead of grinding something new from it.  You will also end up with a bunch of specialty bits for different things....

Milling cutters.  MSC and KBC are good, but MSC is top dollar.  This is where buying American really counts.  Put your money in cutters if nowhere else.  Chinese tools are usually much poorer than US makes, but I've ran into exceptions.  

Ebay is where I buy cutters now, except for real specialty endmills.  Gotta be selective here, but you can buy awesome premium endmills for pennies on the dollar here....  

Don't buy the 5 lb. lots - I had to learn that a half dozen times......  They don't know how to pack them.  I bought three 5 lb. lots and they just dumped them into a large box.... Sounded like broken glass when I got it, just as useful....

"Life Left" on a cutter is the same as worn out.  Like New in the package is where the real deals are.  Gotta use your instincts here.  Many cutting tool auctions get only a single bid, if that.  Be selective and you can fill your tool chest cheap.

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top