Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2003 7:35:27 AM EDT
Hello everyone.

I will say straight out that I am new to this forum and relatively new to the AR-15 "community".  Back in the early 90's I had a Colt Delta HBAR that I had to sell only a year or so after buying it for financial reasons and I have regretting doing so ever since.  Now I have decided that I want to build my own AR-15 rifle.  Being that I am a mechanic by trade and a machinist by training, I believe I can accomplish this feat with little trouble ( famous last words ).

I recently purchased a forged DPMS lower and have been looking through the Shotgun News at all the different dealers kits.

I am hoping that if some of you have the time, you would please help steer me in the right direction, or at least away from the wrong direction, if any, when it comes to which dealer I purchase my rifle kit from.

So far I am leaning towards a kit from Model 1 Sales, but for no other reasons really than they have nice ads and a nice easy to use website, which really aren't good reasons to buy, I know.

Does anyone have any advice as to who to buy my kit from ?  Any testimonials either good or bad from dealing with Model 1 or any of the other rifle kit dealers ?

I fully understand the differences and legalities of pre-pan/post ban parts and recievers, I just want to know who sells good parts and if anyone out there should be avoided.

THANK YOU !
-D Payne
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#1]

There are several threads below concerning the major kit makers, and many of them discuss Model 1. You might want to read those. Also I think RRA is selling kits now so there are at least 4 major kit suppliers to choose from.

Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
the model 1 kits I have dealt with are very good. I recommend them
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I've gotten 2 Model 1 kits...a 16" lightweight, and a 16" standard...both CARs.  

One kit had a major problem, but Model 1 made it right with no guff, I had to send it back, but had the repaired one back within a week.  

They do scrimp in quality on the parts kits pieces, like springs, but they go together with little trouble...you might have to snip a couple of coils off the detent springs.  

Both guns function flawlessly, and the 16" standard kit has done sub moa with the latest hand loads I put through it, which I've started to tweek just for that rifle.  

You can't beat 'em for the price, but I don't know how their overall quality compares to J&T or M&A, which are more expensive.  

I've heard nothing but good stuff about the J&T kits; in another lifetime, when I can afford it, I'll try one of their kits so I have something to compare to the Model 1.  

What style of rifle are you looking to build?  16", 20", etc?  Let me know, I can make some suggestions.  

Here's the 16" standard kit...I've pimped it out a bit lol.

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/188491/modular1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I like my J&T Distributing kit very much.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#5]
After reading a lot of negative things about Model 1 lately, I'm glad I went with J&T. It went together perfectly, the parts are of excellent quality, (they even include 2 extra springs and detents in case you launch one!) the service was excellent, and the delivery was prompt. I ordered online on a Sunday night and the kit arrived to me in Illinois on Thursday. The rifle has worked flawlessly.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
you might consider getting the parts seperately from different companies... ive had good luck with coal creek armory (furniture), delton (lower parts kit), cmmg (tac sling, arms #40), gpss (rra m4 uppers, rra lower, mag rebuild kits), and quantico arms (eagle arms lower)... all had great service, and the parts were all excellent...
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
you might consider getting the parts seperately from different companies... ive had good luck with coal creek armory (furniture), delton (lower parts kit), cmmg (tac sling, arms #40), gpss (rra m4 uppers, rra lower, mag rebuild kits), and quantico arms (eagle arms lower)... all had great service, and the parts were all excellent...
View Quote

Gotta agree with this one.  I put a J&T kit together.  Its a great rifle, but there are things I wish I had that didn't come with the rifle.  One is a chrome lined barrel which they weren't offering at the time.  

If I were to do it again I'd look at an M4 type Bushmaster barrel or a similar one from CMMG.  I'd probably stick with the Eagle Arms lower, get a RRA upper, spend the money on a good railed handgaurd system, etc.  I could go on...

The kits are the way to go to save money and get a nice rifle.  If you want certain items, you're probably better off buying the components and putting the whole thing together.
Scott
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I decided to buy a complete Rock River Arms parts kit from RB Precision ( www.rbprecision.com ).  I had it assmebled in about an hour, no problems whatsoever....  

Hopefully this weekend I will be able to take it out and punch holes in some paper to see how well she shoots.

I appreciate everyones input on this and I really want to thank Krista at RB Precision for being so helpful in putting the parts kit together and shipping it out to me so quickly.

For my next AR-15 rifle, I want to build a 7.62x39.  Rock River apparently doesn't make 7.62x39, so I will be looking at one of the other companies, or maybe several different sources for parts.

Again, thanks to you all !
-D Payne
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#9]
C7Z, How about a PIC?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Here she is :

[img]http://www.members.aol.com/forgottenfoxford/My_A15.jpg [/img]

Sorry about the image quality, my camera is an old piece of crap....
-D Payne
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top