Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2003 12:48:05 PM EDT
The sear wont disengage the hammer when the hammer is cocked. Its like the hammer has two settings (when cocking it by hand) one is normal cock where the sear doesnt touch the hammer, but when you push the hammer down some more the sear engages and will not disengage, the trigger wont move you have to use a screw driver or something to get the sear to disengage. The trigger group is from J&T and the receiver is DPMS. What is going on? Did I do something wrong or is it something else?

Also whats the trick to install the trigger guard roll pin without breaking the receiver?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
After reading your post again, my interpretation of the circumstances may be way off as you do not state that you had the trigger pulled at all...

So I'll just simply ask, do you have all the fire control parts installed? Including the selector?

Sly
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything was installed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to the "Exploded diagram" tacked to the top of the build forum and scroll down to the lower rec parts.  Then tell us which part you are actually using the screwdriver to depress to release the hammer.

From your description, it sounds as though you are actually fooling with the disconnect.  The "sear" is actually the sear surface of the trigger.  I can't see how you could depress that with the hammer cocked?

Please advise.

sly
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, we're remodeling at the office and I need to power down for the dry-wallers that are here to work.  I won't be back on line until Monday, but would like to know what gets figured out.

This question may be better answered in the "troubleshooting" forum.

Go to the troubleshooting forum and see the "list rules". There is a lot of helpful diagrams and information there on how to rectify problems.

If all else fails, Tweak seems to be the authority, you might try IM him.

I'll check in Monday to see whats up.

Gotta go.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#5]
My bad its the disconnector not disconnecting. You can push the hammer down just enough where it doesnt touch the disconnector and it works fine, but if the disconnector engages it, it stays engaged untill you break out the screw driver.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Can the disconnector move freely in the trigger?  Could there be a burr in the trigger or on the disconnector?

Double check your springs to make sure they are installed correctly.  Funny things happen when a spring gets turned around.  Hope to never do that again.
Scott
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Also whats the trick to install the trigger guard roll pin without breaking the receiver?
View Quote

1. Lube up the pin with CLP, along with the holes.
2. Cut a block of wood that will fit between the tabs. Make it a good, friction fit so that there is no space between the wood and the tabs.
3. Put pin in place and using a large pair of vise grips or plier, one jaw over end of pin, other jaw  over other tab. press the pin into place.
4. Remove wood once pin is started and put the trigger guard in place.
5. Continue to use pliers to press the pin.

Make sure to use small pieces of sponge or cloth to protect the lower from the pliers.

You can also use a C-clamp instead of pliers, which works very well.

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#8]
swapped disconnectors with the one in my bushy and it works. Put the JT disconnector in the bushy and it works! WEIRD!! but it works, for now....
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#9]
the disco spring may not have been properly installed the first time, and you may have installed it correctly when you swapped them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks.
View Quote

Don't use roll pins...use the pins Armalite uses.

Rick
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

Don't use roll pins...use the pins Armalite uses.

Rick
View Quote

Or---go to the Dollar store and get a pack of those really tiny screwdrivers that they all sell, take the one small enough for the shaft to go thru the middle, and tap the thing in GENTLY. The handle, which is brass or some other nonferrous metal, will actually function as the punch against the pin.

Funny--been putting ARs together and taking them apart since 1976. Never heard of this happening until I started hanging out on this board.  Are you guys using sledgehammers or what?[:D]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#12]
cykho2001,

Glad to see you got your new build up and running.

I've just used a hammer and punch to put my trigger guards in place.  But I've always said a little prayer and lovingly tapped on it hoping I wouldn't break the thing.  My last build was a cast Oly and it held up OK.  

My Grandpa would say, "With luck, shit will do for brains".  I guess I've just been lucky. But next time I think I'll try the plier/C-clamp method described by neilfj. I may never break a receiver using a small hammer but still I certainly COULD which would be a tragedy.

Sly
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top