Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2003 7:08:32 AM EDT
I've got a 16" carbine that I want to swap out the collapsable stock on. My intention is to put an A1 stock on it, as it's a little longer than the A2 for prone shooting( an issue I've read about before in the past). My question is this...
Do I need to change out the gas tube due to pressure differences, and the "throw" of the longer buffer tube? Do I need to get any special stock adapter or other parts for this conversion aside form the buffer, spring and tube? Any help will be most appreciated, and thanks in advance.

SEMPER FI
Cpl West
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#1]
No need to change the gas tube.  Just make sure you have the right buffer, spring, and tube and you will be good to go.

I just remembered - there is a metal spacer in between the stock and reciever.  It holds the rear takedown pin retaining pin spring.  Might have to get the correct one, not positive on that.  If you buy a complete stock with buffer, etc. it should come with it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Okey-Dokey then. Thanks Shadowblade for your information, I appreciate it.

SEMPER FI
Cpl West
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My intention is to put an A1 stock on it, as it's a little longer than the A2
View Quote

Don't you have this backwards?  I think the A1 stock is actually shorter than the A2.  Just don't want you to go the wrong way.
Scott
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm. I'm trying to remember where I read that, but I can't seem to remember. I think it was on http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandShootersSite/ if I'm not mistaken. I'll check it out again, but I know I read it somewhere, where it pertained to Match Shooting. THanks for the heads-up Scott.

SEMPER FI
Ron
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:35:59 AM EDT
[#5]
cplwest,
I found this link that discusses the spacer and longer screw required for the A2 stock.  I didn't find another thread that actually says the A1 is shorter.  I think the A1 is 5/8" shorter.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=170217&w=searchPop
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#6]
A-ha! As you were. I stand corrected, and I thank you for your research Scott. Kudo's! The A2 stock was indeed manufactured longer than the A1 stock... you were right. Wow, glad you picked up on that one brother. I would have mounted that thing to my weapon, and then said "WTF", I thought it was supposed to be longer! haha
Thanks again and SEMPER FI-

Ron

Edited due to my inability to spell THANKS!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top