Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2003 4:08:49 PM EDT
i bought 2 lowers from MEGA and was wondering the concerns about the lower thickness being less than others?
what could happen by them being thinner?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Are the tolerances out of milspec for the MEGA lower?  If they are, I'm not going to buy one!  I've been looking them over in Shotgun News, but if there is a problem, maybe we need to spread the word here!
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]
where are you getting this information?

can you post a link?  or is it third-hand info?

i've heard nothing but good things about MEGA (Stinger) Lowers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#3]
its been on these forums more than once. people have been measuring them with MICS i was just curious if i will have problems down the road?
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't see it being a concern. MEGAs done good work in the past.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 3:08:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm just finishing up a project using a MEGA lower. I was concerned when I read that they may not be mil-spec so I pulled out my trusty pre-ban Bushy and checked. Sure enough the walls around the mag well were thinner. I was pretty bummed until I checked a Rock River I built a couple of years ago and it measured just a few thousands bigger than the MEGA. They are both noticeably thinner than the Bushy. All I can say about it is that the Rock River has been flawless and has held up just fine in the last couple of years. I wouldn't use any of my ARs as levers or battering rams anyway so I think under normal use the MEGA lower will hold up fine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Have no experience w/the Megas, but have noticed a difference in the thickness of different brands of  lowers, and uppers too for that matter.

Since I have lowers made by Colt, Rock River(2),
DPMS, and Bushmaster, I went ahead and measured all of them at the side wall directly over the hammer pin hole. Thickest was Bushie, next Colt and DPMS (only .002 difference), and thinnest were the Rock River jobs.

For me the question isn't safety; it's fit. I really don't want a rifle where the upper edges overhang the lower, though I can live w/a rifle where the lower is a couple of thousanths wider than the upper. With this in mind, one RR lower has a no name upper on it that's about a thousanth wider than that lower on each side (I can live w/that[:D]). The M4gery has a Rock River upper on the DPMS lower. Perfect fit on one side, slight overhang of the lower on the other.

The Colt SP1 is Colt top and bottom, for obvious resons. The M16A1 clone has a Colt upper on the Bushie lower, which overhangs the upper by about .002 on one side, and perfect match on the other. The M16 clone with the Air Force surp Colt upper is a perfect fit on the new Rock River lower.

So, if I see a Mega lower at a show, and I've got a project in mind, I probably will already have an upper for it.  I have always built up my top ends first.  If what's on the tablr will match up my upper pretty well, fine.  If not, move to the next parts guy[:D]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top