Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2003 11:49:22 AM EDT
I'd appreciate some advice from those familiar with building kits.  I have a Model 1 Sales 16: upper and lower kit.  I am trying to assemble it on my Oly receiver, but have run into the following problems.  

1)  Bolt Catch assembling...  When I installed the bolt catch, I placed the spring in the hole on the left side of the receiver and then put the bolt catch plunger on top of the spring with the big end facing out per the instructions.  But when I gave some pressure with a punch to verify it mooves freely, it stayed in the recess and didn't come out.  It wiggles under a little tension in the recess, but does not protrude out far enough to apply pressure on the bolt catch itself.  And now its stuck in there.  Any advice here?  I was hoping by continuing to actuate the plunger rapidly a lot in the hopes that it would eventually ease back out.  I suppose the coating on the receiver is just enough to keep it in there.  It didn't go in with much force in the first place.

2)  This one has to do with installing the trigger and disconnector into the receiver.  I assembled the trigger, trigger spring, disconnector and disconnector spring as shown in the instructions, but when I hold the assembly up and look through to see how the trigger pin will go through, I notice that it just doesn't line up quite right.  It seems that I can not press down hard enough on the disconnector to get room at the bottom so the pin will go through.  Whats the solution here?  Should I try to grind out the bottom of the hole on the disconnector a little?

Any advice you all could give would be greatly appreciated.

Very Respectfully...Bailoutazores.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as your bolt catch goes I would just keep wigglin' the plunger until it comes out then sand it down a little and oil it up before you put it back in.  Your trigger and disconnector are *probably* ok and will go in eventually.  They are usually real tough to get in so don't get discouraged.  Sometimes you really have to push down on the disconnector to get that pin through.  You might try stickin' a punch through the other side of the receiver to help line everything up.  Let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
1)I suppose the coating on the receiver is just enough to keep it in there.
View Quote

Lube it and continue functioning it. A lot of times they will pop out. You may want to deburr the mouth of the bolt catch detent hole while you're doing this, same for the buffer detent. OAI's often have burrs on the mouth of those holes. If you don't have any luck with functioning try a small torch and lightly heat the surface of the lower around the hole. It's best to always check holes with the proper sized drill bit before assembling. There may be a burr on the bolt catch detent too.

2)It seems that I can not press down hard enough on the disconnector to get room at the bottom so the pin will go through.
View Quote

Clean up the slot in the trigger that the disco rides in. The disco should be able to slide in that slot for the slot's full length. Often there is a burr around the trigger pin hole in the trigger. Remove the disco spring from the trigger and slide the disco back and forth in the slot you should not feel any resistance. Also, the large end of the disco spring should be down (into the trigger). I don't recommend fiddling with the hole in the disco, there's not a lot of material to begin with and you will prolly screw with the hammer engagement.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a Model 1 lower kit and a couple parts were out of spec. Would not suprise me if that were the case with your build. Now my gun has a combo of Model 1, DPMS and Bushmaster parts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all for your sound and kind words.  Update on the rifle.  I haven't worked on the bolt catch issue, but thats pretty secondary.  Of good news, I figured out the issue with the trigger and disconnector.  It seems that the disconnector spring is tapered (I already knew that), but the diagram did not say which end up.  I tried the fat end down first and it seemed too tight of a fit.  I didn't want to force it.  So I put it in little side down.  Well, the with of the spring at the top kept the disconnector from sliding into the grove of the trigger all the way.  I inverted it (correctly) and what do you know, it went in just right.  I put a punch through the other side of the receiver to help guide the pin through and had the task accomplished in minutes.  Shot it today for the first time.  Olympic M-193 and she did well.  As usual, my wife complained about me getting it and how ugly it is (and this from a girl that owns an  AK).  But when I went out to test fire it for the first time tonight, I got to shoot about 20 rounds and she shot about 45.  Poor me...

Thanks again all for your help...Bailoutazores    
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:18:34 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife complains when I get anything new to do with guns...but she stops after 10 minutes. As usual I just ignore it and pass her another beer.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:56:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also, the large end of the disco spring should be down (into the trigger).
View Quote
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top