Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2003 10:06:50 AM EDT
I was having a dream/wish today and I was wondering is someone has made one of sales one or made one. I am a left handed shooter and the safety on the left side of the receiver is in a bad spot next to the index finger. I have seen a left handed safety and it nothing more that a normal safety with a hole drilled in the end and another switch on the end. I was thinking is the internal grove on the safety could be made longer so it will go all the way over to the wishful auto position and the flat on the barrel of the safety cut. That would give you two positions for fire and move out of the way for a lefty. Has anyone else has that problem or solution.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup[:D] Easy to do ,too.  Take an M16 safety/selector, put it side by side w/your semi only job, and you'll see the rib in the middle of the flat on the M16 piece.  Grind that rib down so it's flat, and looks like the AR15 safety, and you'll have a piece that flips all the way round, but will only give semi auto fire in either position.

Grinding off that raised part will do two things for you. First, it will ensure that the rib doesn't hit the closed end at the rear of the trigger, if you have an AR trigger that is closed off all the way into the body. Second, it'll keep the feds happy, since the piece can no longer be considered an M16 part.

Whole job shou;d take about 15 minutes, not counting disassembly and reasssembly.

Did it years ago, after I discarded the ambi unit I'd bought, because after 20+ years of using my left index finger to operate the lever, I wasn't going to go to  the trouble of retraining my hand to use the right side lever. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Now I am on the look out for one
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Aw, shucks...(I'm a lefty too)...

I was hoping that you were describing a way to insert the selector from the right side and make it work...But the detent groove/cutouts don't line up...

I have a spare selector, I guess I'll just weld a tab on the right side and trim it to look like a proper lever (and grind the other lever off)...
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I put one on order last night from bushmaster. I will let everyone know how it works.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top