Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2003 4:22:48 PM EDT
im starting my second AR build, its gonna be a varmit rig this time.  but im thinking i should get it done before septmeber of next year just to be safe. im a hope for the best and expect the worst kinda guy.  

but if i buy a stripped lower and build it my self how does the gov.t know it was a fully assembled rifle before whatever date?

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Save your receipts. I'm in the middle of a carbine build and got another lower for a varmint rig. That's the only way I know of is paper trail.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah, thats what i was thinking.  but i was just wondering if there was a fool proof way to CYA.

thanks
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Very easy thing to do...  put your newly completely AR in your gun safe, in the presence of a notary public (and perhaps a priest), have a licensed welder permanently weld shut your gun safe.  Then have the welder's receipt notarized and sprinkled with holy water.  Then mail the receipt to yourself, being careful to never open the envelope with the postmark on.

See, EASY!
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#4]
1.  Last time I checked, the presumption of innocence was afforded to the defendant and  the burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt was the Government's responsibility.

2.  Most cops (I know) don't know either.  What's more, they don't care.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1.  Last time I checked, the presumption of innocence was afforded to the defendant and  the burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt was the Government's responsibility.
View Quote

The way the AWB is written, all the government must prove beyond a reasonable doubt is that the weapon you possess is an assault weapon as defined by the law. It provides an affirmative defense if you can prove that the weapon was an "assault weapon" prior to the ban.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Take a pic of the gun.  Put the pic in an envelope and send it to yourself certified (They will stamp the sealed envelope with date.)

( I think it is certified, but ask the postal worker- - I did it and they placed a stamp over the sealed lip of envelope.)

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#7]
i was thinking in addtion to saving reciepts, id take a picture of the completed rifle w serial # visable, and mail it to myself.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top